• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Fw-190d11 1/48 ProModeler

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Christian, those were the kit decals and were by Cartograf. I have come to the conclusion after talking with a few other people that whoever owned the kit before me did not store them properly and they were allowed at one point to get damp/really humid or something. Others who have done this kit have had zero problems with the decals.

Thanks Adam,
I also have the Eagle cal decals for mine. I hope to build it some day soon.
Cheers, Christian B)

Looks good Adam, that style of wing cross always gives me fits, too much clear material. Some times you can just paint over the offending area !

Big update today. I temporarily attached the sliding portion of the canopy with a little white glue for painting. Then I masked everything off and preshaded. After that I began applying color with the RLM 76.

19014.jpg

19015.jpg

Then I began putting the top colors on and this is where I started to have trouble. My airbrush was spitting something fierce and just generally behaving badly. Checked the paint mixture and that was OK. Needle was straight. I didn't think it could possibly need cleaned as I had just cleaned it prior to preshading. Well I ended up breaking it all down again and cleaning it and low and behold it worked fine after that. :gogo

Before cleaning AB:

19016.jpg

Final:

19017.jpg

19018.jpg

I also thought my mottling was a bit too stark so I went over it with a highly thinned mixture of 76 and that seemed to tone it down to a level I could live with.

Then it was futured and it was on to the decals! These things were horrible. I could not get them to silver no matter what I tried. Numerous applications of solvent did nothing. I even tried scoring them and dabbing future underneath them to no avail. In retrospect I should have gone looking for some different crosses and such the moment I put the first one on, but oh well. As this thing really needs to get off the bench they are staying silvered... It's not like I wanted to take this to an upcoming show or anything... :unsure:

I've now attached the landing gear and done a little weathering. All that's left to do is finish the weathering and attach all the little bits. The canopy is temporarily perched for the pictures.

19019.jpg

19020.jpg

19021.jpg

Onward and upward! Thanks for looking and keep on modeling!

The mottling rocks dude! Good idea on the overspray of the base color. I like that!

Thanks OD and MP! I figured what the heck, the decals are messed up anyways. I tried something new to me. I weathered the crap out of it with some pastels and I got the bottom really dirty. I don't really like the way the panel lines look, but it certainly doesn't look like any of my other builds. If you ignore the frakkin decals it actually looks kind of cool. I've still got to attach the cannon, aerial, gear retraction strut, and the antennaes, and the drop tank rack. It's supposed to be sunny here the next few days so hopefully I can get some nice outside piccies. What do you guys think?

19022.jpg

19023.jpg

19025.jpg

19024.jpg

Thanks for looking and keep on modeling!!! :silly:

That's the way to do it, trying something new only leads to growth, why do the same thing over and over..(said the guy who has 4 wildcat boxes on his WIP shelf)

could remove the decals and mask off those crosses and paint them.

Something else you might try is to take xacto knife with a #11 blade and gentle score the decals and then reapply decal solution or clear coat with a brush and see if that get rid of the silvering.

Terry :D

Thanks for the input guys.

Terry, i tried scoring them and getting solvent underneath them before I flat coated it and it didn't make a dent. These decals are just doomed. I ended up masking the white on the crosses off and spraying the dark green over them. Got rid of the silvering. All the little ones are just gonna have to stay that way though.

Here it is all finished. Even though I've wanted to tear my hair out with this kit and it almost went up against the wall a few times I still had a lot of fun with it and heck, I even learned a few things.

19028.jpg

19029.jpg

19030.jpg

19031.jpg

19032.jpg

19033.jpg

19034.jpg

19036.jpg

19037.jpg

19038.jpg

19039.jpg

19040.jpg

Just for good measure!

19041.jpg

Thanks for all your help and support guys. Keep on modeling!

What is that strapped under it, looks like a cherry bomb..

Adam, aside from the decal that's one fine looking butcher bird!

Adam it looks a lot better!!

Cherry bomb on a betty is overkill. You can shoot a betty down with a BB gun. :laugh:

Terry ;)

Thanks a lot guys. You know, I think some bottle rockets would do better to shoot into betty formations! :laugh:

Back