• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Finnish markings WWII

sharkman

Master at Arms
A question for all out there regarding Finnish roundels in WWII...

I've noticed in a few of my kits that most Finnish aircraft had White background on the roundels whereas one of my Bristol Blenheims has a light grey backing. All I could find so far with a quick search online is that the roundels were toned down during the continuation war. Was this only applied to Blenheims or to all aircraft?

:bm:

I don't know Warren. While I have had a little interest in Finnish aircraft of WWII, I have not done much research into them.

A question for all out there regarding Finnish roundels in WWII...

I've noticed in a few of my kits that most Finnish aircraft had White background on the roundels whereas one of my Bristol Blenheims has a light grey backing. All I could find so far with a quick search online is that the roundels were toned down during the continuation war. Was this only applied to Blenheims or to all aircraft?

:bm:

Some of the aftermarket decals are on a silver background . Probably silver dope . It looks grayish unless you see it up close .
No idea what the rule of thumbs is. I think I would go with whatever picture you use for a reference .

Cheers, Christian

Last edited:
FAF recce squadrons began using subdued markings from almost the beginning of the Winter War, usually using green paint. Le Lv 12 completely over painted the white on upper wing and fuselage roundels. LeLv 16 over painted the white on upper wing roundels on all aircraft, some had the fuselage white painted out but in all cases a thin white outline was left around the swastika. During the Continuation War, testing in late 1943 led to subdued markings becoming standard from 12 Jan 44. The official colour was Light Blue (FS35414) but any Light Blue, Light Grey or Silver Dope was applied. New aircraft and those going thru repair and overhaul at the State Aircraft Factory received subdued roundels in all 6 positions. In the field, upper wing and fuselage markings were subdued with the lower wing markings often retaining the white background. Following the end of the war, the current roundel was adopted 13 Mar 45, retroactive to 1 Mar 45.

Rich

Back