• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F-4J Phantom II - F I N I S H E D

Actually I really enjoy the whole stencilling process. It's the precision that appeals, getting the correct stencil onto or d*mn close to the right panel or access point.... yeah I know, bit 'odd' eh ?

:geekon:

Ian.

Maybe so, but that oddness adds to the incredibility of this model. I'm odd myself when it comes to certain model-related tasks.

Phantom update:

22 1.jpg

22 2.jpg

Decals all done - about seven hours over five sessions. Next I'll seal them in with a couple of thin coats of (home brewed) satin varnish which will hopefully give me a good base to add the weathering effects.

More next week.

Best from NZ.

Before and after photos:

23 1 before.jpg
23 2 after.jpg
23 3 after.jpg

Burned Sienna, Raw Umber and Paynes Grey oils applied and blended yesterday - two hours or so uninterrupted as it was Fathers Day here :good:

More soon.

Ian.

Kit - Hasegawa PT6
Paint - All acrylics
Decals - Furball 48--045
Extras - Aires resin seats, Airwaves & Eduard kit-specific etch sets, scratchbuilt wiring & plumbing in cockpit & wheel bays.

F-4J Phantom II
VF-102 'Diamondbacks'
USS Independence
1973 / 74

done a.jpg
done b1.jpg
done b2.jpg
done c.jpg
done d.jpg
done e1.jpg
done e2.jpg
done f1.jpg
done g2.jpg
done.jpg

So the kit is the re-issue of the Hasegawa 1:48 F-4S from 2004, but with the 'J' wings and all engraved panel lines - because the fuselage is the 'S' version, the 'slime lights' had to be carved-off, so whilst I was doing that, I decided to cut & re-profile the inner flaps, scratchbuild the rear of the back-seater's IP with scrap sprue and short lengths of fuse wire etc and detail-out the nosewheel bay with larger gauges of wire. I also added all of the Eduard kit-specific etch set and Airwaves canopy set. The seats are Aires resin replacements which come with separate etch frets for the seat harnesses. The rest of the kit was built straight from the box.

I mixed the Light Gull Grey from Tamiya acrylics using the (in)famous Mk.I eyeball method, but before laying down the paint I decided to test my new Uschi Van Der Rosen 'splatter masks' which was risky but very worthwhile - I would recommend giving them a go, but be careful, practice to get the best results - I just got lucky.

This was my first time using Furball decals, they are bl**dy superb - amongst the very best decals I have used in fifty years of modelling.
For final weathering I went to my tried and trusted 'oil dot & blending' method using Windsor & Newton products - been doing this technique for thirty years, so I'm sticking to it.

Not too much else to say - I love how it's turned-out, certainly the best F-4 model I've completed - but then the last 1:48 kit I actually finished was sometime in the 1990's so it's not much of a claim. Please feel free to comment, question and criticise.

Have the rest of a great weekend everyone.

Ian.

That's a thing of beauty there Ian. :Drinks:

It's got me itching to tear into one of my Js after I get the B-25 & OV-1 out of the way.

Back