• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Encore Models Arado Ar 196 A-3 TinTin's Arado!

Encore Models Arado Ar 196 A-3

few more updates...

got the cockpit and fuse together... added a few scratch builds in here (there was no floor for the rear cockpit)

interior

assembled floats

test on floats

added rigging with stretched sprue

put the prop, engine and cowl on and added some wire for the hoisting cables

should be ready for some paint shortly!

Looking good Warren :coolio Looks like it could have use some lead in the floats .

Descent kit ? I have not built mine yet.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Ian, Christian and Bob!

Looks like it could have use some lead in the floats .

Thought about that but it actually sits pretty well. I've noticed the floats on the Arado were at an odd angle compared to other float planes. You can see it if you look at a side profile shot. Not sure why.

Cheers, Christian B)

It is a pretty descent kit given the age of it. It does have raised panel lines but the fit is good, detail is descent and the dimensions look good (the front of both floats might be a bit off in shape but that's all that I noticed.). I'm fairly impressed!

few more updates...

got the cockpit and fuse together... added a few scratch builds in here (there was no floor for the rear cockpit)

interior

assembled floats

test on floats

added rigging with stretched sprue

put the prop, engine and cowl on and added some wire for the hoisting cables

should be ready for some paint shortly!

Awesome :popcorn

Thanks Ian, Christian and Bob!

Looks like it could have use some lead in the floats .

Thought about that but it actually sits pretty well. I've noticed the floats on the Arado were at an odd angle compared to other float planes. You can see it if you look at a side profile shot. Not sure why.

Cheers, Christian B)

It is a pretty descent kit given the age of it. It does have raised panel lines but the fit is good, detail is descent and the dimensions look good (the front of both floats might be a bit off in shape but that's all that I noticed.). I'm fairly impressed!

Hmmm I had never noticed the floats looking different . I'll have to look :unsure:

Cheers, Christian B)

Thank you gents!

Had one of the kids home for March break and now the folks have them this weekend so I was able to get a bit done Thursday evening and this morning.

Masked up!

pre-shaded! Going to use Tamiya flat yellow because I find for yellow, it covers the best!

First coat! I realized, if you pre-shade with yellow, you should not use black (it is very hard to cover). maybe a grey would have been better.
Anyway, I'm on the 3rd coat now and it might take 1 more to get the coverage where I want it,

When I was talking about the accuracy before, I mentioned that I thought the kit looked great aside from the shape of the front of the floats. tried to show what I was talking about here, comparing it to an MPM 48 scale 196. They look fine from the side.....

but from the top they just look a little narrow at the front (IMO). Didn't measure anything, just going by eye!

Started to scratch build a trolley for it with a few wheels from the spares box

Used some thin cuts of styrene tube cut in half to make attachments for the axle

ta da!

That's all for now. Might work on it some more this afternoon!

Very cool Warren . (y) Really needs a ground dolley , unless you just happen to have a catapult :D

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Christian, Dave and Ian!

Here's where I left off this morning!

4 coats of yellow and the black struts were a major pain to paint! One little flick of a brush and black specs everywhere!

:vmad

Finished it up this afternoon! Sorry dave, no Tintin or Snowy! :(

F.E.R.S = expedition du Fonds European de Recherches Scientifiques

(or in english, E.F.S.R., European Foundation for Scientific Research)

Decals were 1/72 Japanese code letters!

The beaching trolley!

Warren, it looks spectacular in yellow and black .

Since there is no Snowy, I'll add another character that was very entertaining... :soldier and the color scheme blends right in.

Marsupilami.jpg

Am I the only one to remember him ?

Cheers B)

Finished it up this afternoon! Sorry dave, no Tintin or Snowy! :(

F.E.R.S = expedition du Fonds European de Recherches Scientifiques

(or in english, E.F.S.R., European Foundation for Scientific Research)

Decals were 1/72 Japanese code letters!

The beaching trolley!

Great job Warren! (y)

Back