• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lanz Bulldog D8500

jknaus

Administrator
When I saw Miniart was coming out with this kit a few months ago I just really wanted it. It finally arrived on my doorstep on Friday and I figured why not jump in. There are not that many parts for a Miniart kit but it is still challenging and fun.
DSC08827.JPG

Made by Lanz of Mannheim, Baden-Württemberg, Germany it was a 3 speed 10.3L single cylinder powered tracto rated at 34 HPr. The engine could burn almost any fuel even waste oil. From what I can find online and Youtube etc it had 1 instrument which was a rotation gauge so you knew the engine was turning the correct way. When looking through the instructions I was a bit confused that the steering wheel can be mounted in the cab or on the right side of the engine after opening a cover. While watching the following video I found that the wheel was used to start the unit and then reconnected to the steering linkage.

The tractor was portrayed in German comics as being cool as that was the sound it made.
33e407a4263c9ea243da67b3a0f5baff_141253.jpg

The kit also has an extra side which makes me think you can do a later model more powerful version which was 54HP. Parts are also laid out so that I can see some other versions coming. I found one picture of a military version which would be cool to see.
I found a cool cutaway of it online also and this is for discussion purposes.
724e09428d8c0010d55f08936cbb9607_141379.jpg

Construction is fairly simple and the parts fit is pretty good. Miniart does use a softer plastic so it is both easier and harder to sand.
I drilled out the valves and plumbed them in with wire. The drill was .03mm. The colour scheme at the end shows the plumbing and you can find it online also. When cleaning up one of the linkages I managed to break it off as it was so small and fragile. I glued it back together and then when gluing something else it snapped in a new location. So cleaned it up and used some brass wire. For some strange reason the tow pin was molded as part of the pintle so cleaned it up, drilled it out and used brass rod for it. I didnt like the seat spring so I wrapped some brass rod around a plastic rod of suitable size. Then I removed the rod and cut 2 disks off. These were glued into each end of the spring and then the spring was glued in place. Pe cover plates were folded as per instructions and installed. Now a short break before I get back to it.
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

James

Attachments

• DSC08836.JPG
    DSC08836.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC08837.JPG
    DSC08837.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC08838.JPG
    DSC08838.JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC08839.JPG
    DSC08839.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC08840.JPG
    DSC08840.JPG
    360.4 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC08841.JPG
    DSC08841.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC08842.JPG
    DSC08842.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC08843.JPG
    DSC08843.JPG
    356.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC08844.JPG
    DSC08844.JPG
    315 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC08845.JPG
    DSC08845.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC08846.JPG
    DSC08846.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC08847.JPG
    DSC08847.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC08849.JPG
    DSC08849.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC08850.JPG
    DSC08850.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC08851.JPG
    DSC08851.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 9
Nice, looking forward to seeing how this turns out, always love something a little different :)

Nice James, glad you're getting bench time.
Single cylinder? Don't think I've ever heard of such.

I was hoping I had the correct paint in my collection but no such luck. I did find one that was close though and added a dark blue to make it closer. I think it looks okay. Wheels were a pain as they are so intricate. Tried an experiment with the exhaust stack. Following a tip from Bob Letterman I painted the exhaust and then immediately added some pigment and then gave a light dusting of paint again. While my wife was looking at makeup I found some jars of brownish powder and bought some to experiment. Sprayed Tamiya hull red on exhaust and then used a q-tip to apply the powder. Then dusted with hull red again. This gave it a nice look and a slightly rough texture. Still lots to do. Also some pics of the Meng Fokker DR Is I'm building for my grand kids.

Is anyone interested in more posts by any chance? If so I'll continue.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

James

Why would you ask if we want more posts? Man, your work is sensational! That technique you did on the exhaust looks perfectly real. Most impressive!

So: YES!!! bring on more posts!

lol. Sounds like a plan Bob. Looks like I have the rest of the week off so see what happens next. Have decals to install today and then paint the radiators. Then the hard part, weathering.

When i was a kid my sister was building her own house and they had a single cylinder dumper truck. Brilliant thing. I was basically a 700cc single cylinder diesel with a massive heavy flywheel that once spinning made the whole thing almost impossible to stall. Years later i was importing old ex army moto guzzi single cylinder bikes. These were 500cc and again had a heavy flywheel and so would tick over at about 200rpm. You could count the firing strokes at just over 1 a second. :) There is a lot to be said for heavy flywheels and inertia :) unfortunately the flywheel is on the other side ...

232.jpg

Crazy glued the wheels and blocked so they would be straight. After a while picked up and the back wheels fell off. Annoying. So used the revel glue and installed and reblocked and now they are on. The yellow on the plaquard did not work out so repainted last night. Today sanded it and looks good but of course i sanded the nose also so must touch up. Installed the steering wheel and need to finish painting it. Used brown wash and dirtied it up some. Now its just a bit of dust and dirt and it is almost finished.
full

full

full

James

NEAT! that big funky flywheel on the side makes for a neat startup, LOVE the way some German engineers decided to use the steering wheel as means to start that big ol' husky boy

Back