• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

East Prussia, the last stance

willem

Background:

January 1945 East-Prussia was cut-off, as a result of a great Russian offensive towards Berlin.
While Berlin was still the main goal, there were some good reasons to eliminate East-Prussia:
- this was the first occupied German soil (psychology, propaganda !)
- The German army's there and in Kurland were a dangerous flanking threat.

The forces:
Manpower: Germany 770.000, Russia 1.600.000
Tanks: Germany 700, Russia 2800
On top of that the Russians had almost complete air supremacy.
It has to be mentioned that about 200.000 German troops were so-called Volkssturm, which means every man who could
not serve in a normal way (age, health etc).
Now these men did fight bravely until the end, but of course they lacked the training and condition of a regular soldier.

So the Russians were superior in all aspects.
Still the German troops desperately defended to almost the end of april.
This was no longer for victory or Germany, leave alone for Hitler.
It was just to give over 2 million civilans, mostly women and children, a chance to escape to the west.

This big evacuation, called Trecks, were dangerous by themselves.
At 20 below zero the civilians trailed over frozen Hafs, meanwhile bombed and strafed by the Russians.
Also the last remnants of the German Navy were sacrified here.

opru_1.jpg

The German troops defended well, and gaines some local succeses by smaller counter-attacks, but eventually the
last remnants were pressed towards Konigsberg or the Heiligenbeil pocket.
Defence was improvised from day to day, and consisted usually just some hastily digged trenches in field or wood.
Everything to gain time.

opru_2.jpg

This is the situation Im working on, an abandonded trench around medium March.

First impressions of the groundwork

This wildgrass from Treemendus was exactly what I wanted !

opru_3.jpg

opru_4.jpg

opru_5.jpg

Still a lot to do, and then adding figures.
Those will be Russian assault scouts and some tankriders.
More pics when ready.

Thanks for looking,

willem

I like it. I read DEFEAT IN THE EAST and it sounds like the condition faced by the German civilans were positively appalling. Will be watching this build with interest.

Cheers

My eyes keep on travelling over the pictures,..really some fantastic progress from the pic you showed me in the e-mail that you've send me.

Love it for sure,W! (y)

Greetings,Ron.

Added figures and did some finishing.
Got some good advices and support from Reconron ! Thanks Ron :)

Sample of T34 with broken tracks

opru_6.jpg

Sample of a German trench after Russian attack

opru_7.jpg

Pics:

opru_8.jpg

opru_9.jpg

opru_10.jpg

opru_11.jpg

opru_12.jpg

opru_13.jpg

opru_14.jpg

opru_15.jpg

opru_16.jpg

Thanks for looking, constructive comments always welcome !

Willem

:notworthy

Great work, only thing that jumps out at me is the earth under the tank where it breached the trench, looks too dry for it be so muddy down in there.

Hats off to you for taking on something like that, so much going on! (y)

Eye-catcher,...lots of action going on there. (y)
You keep on improving on your diorama skills,hope you can show us more in the future! :drinks

Greetings,Ron.

Really nicely done Willem (y) (y) (y) I hope you dont mind, but you asked for comments, The track trailing back from the T-34/85 would look better going forward and falling into the trench. Because of the motion of travel the rear drive sprocket would push it forward. It looks a bit unnatural as is. I hope you dont mind. Other than that I think its very well executed and really tells a poignant story. Again well done,
James

Thanks all for nice comments !

Jknaus: you would have been aboslutely right if the t34 had a BACK drive sprocket...
But they had a front drive sprocket, so the loose track behind is not pulled anymore and just lies down.

Willem

Actually Willem the rear sprocket on the T-34 is the drive sprocket, the transmission is at the back of the tank. Excellent Dio (y)

:drinks

:) Nice willem,
good job on the layout and the winter cam on the t34/85.

Thanks for the nice lead in history as well - gives it a little something more than just a build.

Ian.

Back