• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

T-34/85 Österreichisches Bundesheer - Ungarnkrise 1956 (Austrian Federal Army - Hungarian Crisis 1956)

RichB

At the end of the war, Austria was spilt into four occupations zones, as Germany was. Like Berlin, Vienna was also split into four zones.

austriazones.jpg

In late 1945, the Western Allies had begun creating Gendarmerie units to assist their occupation forces in keeping order. They were supplied with surplus and captured small arms as well as some vehicles. The Soviets relied on a large military presence maintain control of their sector and Vienna. Following the Berlin Blockade in 1948-49, the US grew more concerned about Soviet intentions in Austria. These concerns increased in 1950 with the outbreak of the Korean War. The US began to secretly train and equip a "future Austrian Army" and establish arms depots along the German-Austrian border.

With the death of Stalin in 1953, the new Soviet leadership no longer had any interest in an "East Austria". At the same time, the Western Allies were no longer interested in maintaining occupation forces in Austria leading to negotiations being opened for Austrian independence. A treaty was signed in May 1955, with several restrictions placed on the Austrian military, strict neutrality, no nuclear or chemical weapons, no foreign military bases and ,curiously, no submarines. The last US and Soviets forces withdrew from Austria in October 1955.

The newly reunited Austria's Army was equipped with a mix of World War Two Allied and Axis uniforms, arms and equipment. The departing Soviets left twenty-seven T-34/85's and one T-34 Armoured Recovery Vehicle. They had all seen combat during the war and been in storage since. The vehicles were overhauled and put into service with the fledgling Armoured Forces. Their training was interrupted when they were deployed along the Austria-Hungary border in October 1956 during the short lived Hungarian Revolution. The T-34 would remain on frontline duty until 1959 when they were passed to the reserves. During the 1960's they were deployed to fixed defensive bunkers, sometimes using only the turret, sometimes the entire tank. They remained in position until 2000. Many T-34's have survived until today and can be found on display at army barracks and museums throughout Austria.

For this project I'll be using an Academy T-34/85. This kit has the solid road wheels and turret configuration as seen on photos of Austrian vehicles. Of course there are some tweaks to be done once cutting and gluing begins.

IMG_1219.JPG

Let the fun begin.

Cheers,
RichB

I never knew Austria was cut up like this. Thanks for the education Rich and looking forward to this project. :soldier

While surfing thru reference photos of Austrian T-34/85's, I found they had nearly every possible combination of turret configuration . Large or small cupola, twin aft or fore/aft split ventilators, bulge or no bulge for the electric traverse system and different casting and weld marks. The kit has optional upper turrets depicting the small cupola and aft ventilator combination or large cupola and split ventilator combination, both without the traverse bulge on the forward left side of the turret. Having found a photo with the large cupola combination, I had a starting point. (The large cupola also makes it easier to fit a crew man later.) With that decision made, build up was as per instructions. The kit has an aggressive texture for the cast parts so they received a stipple coat of Tamiya putty and liquid adhesive to tone it down. Some of the turrets had cast numbers on the left side, so I scrapped some numbers off the sprue tabs and glued them in place.

IMG_1222.JPG

The transmission vent cover comes with a screen as a cast plastic plastic version or a PE version. As the only PE on the build, I went with it. Once it was in position I added some dents to it. The double row of cast on tie down loops on the right fender were replaced by bent wire. The track grousers were stored in there, but the Austrians didn't have them so those bits can be left off. The pioneer tool rack on the right side of the hull didn't seem to survive the hand over either. The kit doesn't include the tools so no need to panic there. Although not often seen on the tanks, I added the tow cables stowed along the right fender. The wire rope is the kit supplied thread that I coated with AMMO Thin Plasticator. This type is designed to seal slightly porous surfaces and stiffened up the thread once dry. There is a thick version available for more porous materials like wood or plaster. It seems a lot like artist acrylic matte medium.

IMG_1223.JPG

I remade the two U brackets on the glacis to look more in scale. They could hold a wood plank or metal bar to reduce the flow of water into the driver's hatch when shallow wading. The front fenders also took some dents. The wiring for the light and horn were added and the horn had the loud speaker fitting removed to look more like the prototype..

IMG_1224.JPG

At this stage, the Austrian T-34's still had the smoke oil tank racks on the rear of the tank but they never had the tanks installed. It seems like later in their career they also had the mounts removed. The kit had the mounting brackets that required some panel bolt heads to be removed. As they are designed to have the tanks installed, I had to add the curved portion between the upper and lower mounts. Austrian T-34's also had 4 mystery studs on the rear panel between the exhausts. These studs seem to appear on late WW2 or immediate post-war Soviet production vehicles as they are also visible on T-34/85's supplied to North Korea before and during the Korean War. They were added with styrene rod.

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

While letting stages of the hull and turret build-up dry, I assembled and painted the road wheels and tracks ready for installation and weathering. The link and length tracks are molded with track pin heads on both sides of the track, so the outboard pin heads were sanded off. A dedicated detailer could drill a small hole on the outboard end of each link. Soviet tracks of the day only had the head on the inboard side of the track and were free floating. (Earlier T-34 models had a retaining pin that held the track pin in position.) There is a bump plate on the aft hull, just forward of the drive sprocket, that the pin head would contact and push the pin back into the track. This was the reason for the distinctive clanking of a T-34 on the move. There is enough play in the assembled track that the road wheels don't have to be fixed in place yet.

IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG

Out of the box it is a nicely detailed kit without being over engineered. There is a join and some ejector marks that need to filled on the underside of the fenders when the upper and lower hull are joined. They'll be hard to see once the tracks and some mud are added. There are also ejector marks on the turret hatches to be filled if they are being posed open. (I forgot to fill the marks on the loaders hatch.) Molding is crisp and relatively flash free and as a bonus, the long 85mm barrel in a one piece mold. No nasty seams or warping to worry about. Kit markings are for 3 late WW2 Soviet vehicles (2 in Berlin, 1 in Yugoslavia) and 3 North Korean vehicles.

Next up will be fitting the crew in their positions and then getting some colour on.

Cheers,
RichB

Last edited:
AH...the road wheels are loose inside the track run. That's how you guys do that when you build up the tracks like this.

Great eye for detail Rich. :soldier

For the last week or so, Frankenstein's laboratory has been open for business. During the early phase of the Bundesheer's post-war existence their uniform consisted of a mix of US, Soviet and German elements. Having found a couple of Miniart figure kits to use as a starting point and a dive into the spares box, the cutting and gluing began until I had five figures reassembled.

IMG_1235.JPG

Figure 1 The Driver has a Soviet AFV crew torso with a Hornet Soviet head and German AFV crew arms.

Figure 2 The Company CO has the torso of a US NWE AFV crewman wearing a Mackinaw (Jeep Coat) with legs from a German AFV crewman and a Hornet head with German Side Cap less the WW2 insignia.

Figure 3 The Gunner was a Soviet AFV crewman wearing coveralls. He has a Hornet German head with the M43 style Field Cap and Hornet hands. The US M43 Field Jacket was commonly worn so the lower part of the jacket was added with epoxy putty. His lower legs were cutoff so he fit better in the hatch.

Figure 4 The Tank Commander had his Soviet style jacket modified to look like the M43 jacket. He had a Hornet Soviet head added and his right hand replaced so it can rest on the T-34's fender.

Figure 5 The Loader was a Soviet crewman with a Hornet German head with M43 Field Cap added.

The tank crew M43 Jackets had the pockets and flaps added with epoxy putty.

While I had the epoxy putty out, I added the Austrian flag to the turret. It was draped over many vehicles during their deployment along the border.

IMG_1234.JPG

Cheers,
RichB

Continuing this week working on the crew and trying out the 502 Abteilung oil paints. They are made with a finer grind pigment and are supposed to dry faster than artist oils. While digging thru boxes of lost treasures, I found a selection of Verlinden books. In one of them was the figure painting "System". In those days, Humbrol enamels and artist oil paints were in vogue. Why not see what I can do with Vallejo acrylics and the 502 Abteilung oils.

These are their flesh tone colours. In ye olden days, Flake White, Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Yellow and Cadmium Red were used and you mixed your own colours.

IMG_1252.JPG

With the figures primed, the first thing to do was paint any exposed flesh areas a light desert sand colour with the acrylic. After giving it a chance to dry, it is overpainted with Flesh Shadow. After a few minutes, the excess is removed from the raised areas with a soft brush, leaving a tint on them and a stronger the colour in the recessed areas. Under a light, the areas to be highlighted can be seen.

IMG_1249.JPG

Next, Sunny Flesh Tone was applied and blended into the shadow colour.

IMG_1251.JPG

The last step was to apply the lighter highlights with Light Flesh Tone and blend it in. A light touch of Faded Flesh, a pink shade, was applied to the cheeks and lips and blended. Don't overdo the pink or it could look like an episode of Austria's Drag Race. I touched up some of the shadow areas to give them bit more emphasis. They also had their hair done. Any other adjustments will be made once I get the uniforms done.

IMG_1253.JPG

Somewhere along the line, the driver lost a flap from his helmet. Once things have dried, a new one will have to be fitted.

Cheers,
RichB

Back