• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dragon King Tiger Porsche Turret

OK, I got called out earlier today about where I am with the King Tiger. :blush: The truth is, I haven't had the urge to model lately, so I clamped myself to the bench and hammered out an update. Using my Dremel with a flat bottomed burr and my micro chisel, I "damaged" the zimmerit.

IMG_6383.JPG

IMG_6384.JPG

I also added welds on the periscope guard, using .015 solder and the point of an X-Acto to give the weld texture.

IMG_6382.JPG

IMG_6381.JPG

Time for the dreaded road wheels!

IMG_6385.JPG

Everything is out in the paint shop after a coat of Tamiya Grey Primer. Stayed tuned, more to come!

:drinks

After a lengthy break from this build, I picked it back up yesterday and decided to make tracks. :S :laugh:

My usual method involves wrapping tape around the sprockets and road wheels to determine the length of the run.

IMG_6730.JPG

Split the tape and mount it sticky side up to a board, this lets you get your fingers below the level of the tracks to make sure everything is lined up and lets you paint the tracks later.

IMG_6731.JPG

IMG_6732.JPG

These links had a small ejector mark that needed to be removed, just a quick zip zip over the sanding stick did the deed. Remember to end with the opposite link or you won't be able to attach them. :cheer:

Second run, same as the first.

IMG_6733.JPG

IMG_6734.JPG

Coat each run liberally with Testors Liquid Cement and let it sit about 10 minutes. The Testors seems to work best for me, other liquid cements harden up too fast. Last time I built a KT, I base painted the tracks with flat black, this time I tried Valspar Satin Brown. I had this paint leftover from another project and the brown looks more like the high manganese German track color. :idonno There will be dirt and grime, plus highlites added later, so it's just a base color. Dries quickly too!

IMG_6735.JPG

Wait about 10 more minutes and carefully remove the runs from the tape. This is where you find out if your liberal coating was complete. :laugh: If any links come loose, relax, breathe and add more cement to the unpainted side. Give it a few more minutes to set up, then paint. Don't get crazy with the paint, just enough to cover the grey. Wait another 10 minutes for paint to dry. Total elapsed time so far, about 30 minutes.

Time to wrap the tracks. Carefully thread the run between the fender and the sprocket, over the road wheels and around the return, slowly forming the run to the sag you want. I like to use cotton swabs to shim things in place, just be sure your paint isn't tacky or you'll experience first the fine art of cotton picking. :laugh:

IMG_6736.JPG

IMG_6737.JPG

IMG_6738.JPG

The return was left loose on this build, it moved when I wrapped the tape, so I wound up being two links short. :pinch: I added them and will paint after run is dry. Since this tank will have skirts, I could have attached the links at the top of the run, thus hiding the joint.

IMG_6739.JPG

I removed the swabs this morning and things look like they did what I set out to do. I have another eye procedure today, one that will hopefully fix the astigmatism in my left eye and maybe I can get back to the bench full force.

:v :drinks

Looks really good Mike, so when you glue the tracks, they stay tacky enough during that time to be wrapped around like that? (obvious yes but still asking)

Good to see you at the bench Mike (y) . Sure hope this takes care of your eye problems :drinks

Cheers, Christian B)

Looks really good Mike, so when you glue the tracks, they stay tacky enough during that time to be wrapped around like that? (obvious yes but still asking)

That's why I use the Testors Liquid Cement, it is slower drying to allow all the other stuff to go on and still be soft enough to mold the tracks. You don't want to fall asleep doing this method. :laugh:

Thanks Tony, James, Chris, Terry and Bob! The eye procedure that wasn't happened today. Apparently the appointment for today was a recheck (not what the surgery center said when we set this up) so my next appointment is for the procedure. Can't win.

Looks good Mike! I like the method of using the tape and gluing w/ the liquid cement, it seems to work quite well. I've found however, that it works best when all the links are loose. My Sturmtiger has long runs where the tracks were molded as a single piece, and it made it a lot harder to get it all formed where it needed to go.

I'll have to try that brown color. I was hoping my washes would tone down the rust I used on my Sturmtiger, but it still has a noticeable red tint to it.

I like the technique Mike, but I think I will stick with Fruil tracks. Just seems easier to me. Bummer they switched your appointment.
James

Back