• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Done! 1/350 Yankee Modelworks Los Angeles Class

Oh, I hadnt thought about trying to contact the ship. I'll have to do some digging to see if there's a PR person I could contact.

Base is coming together a lot faster than I was expecting.

Got the cribbing trimmed and all glued down.

DSC02957_zpsb14a2e91.jpg

And how it looks w/ the sub on it.

DSC02955_zpsed5e996f.jpg

Tomorrow I'll get the 2 mounting holes drilled, and then tomorrow evening I'll get the first coat of stain down. According to the stain I got, it says it only takes one coat, so that may go pretty quickly as well.

And the base is done! Still trying to decide on a name plate and ship patch, but thats stuff that will come down the line as I've got the money.

Stained w/ Rustoleum "Early American" stain bought at Lowes, and then sealed w/ a Semi-Gloss spray clear coat. I sanded it between coats, and it helped out immensely w/ the look. I wasnt happy at all w/ the look last night, but after lightly sanding w/ 220 grit this afternoon after work, and then putting down 3 more coats of clear, I'm very happy. I may go back and sand it again, there are a few blemishes that I might try to correct, but overall I'm very happy w/ the look.

DSC02963_zpsf10dad40.jpg

DSC02964_zps053d029f.jpg

DSC02965_zps2064a765.jpg

The channel is where the cover will sit, and I'm trying to decide whetehr to paint it black or a brown or something else. I had a very hard time getting the stain down in there, so there are a few places that are still bare wood color, and if I should ever decide to show this at a competition, I'd take the plexiglass cover off, and then that area would be visible.

I do have a possible line on getting a ships challenge coin, so I'm really hoping that comes through. I also contacted the Pacific Submarine Command in Pearl Harbor, in the hopes that maybe I could get a coin that way. Would be awesome to actually get a coin from the ship.

Adam,
That came out very nice. Good work on the base. Regarding the groove for the cover: You could take a small brush and push some black paint in there. With the stain on it would be easy to wipe up any wet pant that got outside. Well done.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill. Thats pretty much the same thought that I had. I'm thinking I might try sanding the inside of the slot to make it just a touch wider so that it doesnt bind on the plexiglass, and then paint it.

Back