• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Daytona 1957 Ford Fairlane

Hey that looks perfect!! Time for clear coat yes?

(y)

That's the plan, several clear coats to get a good shine on it.

Need to figure out how to do the chrome accents like the Fairlane 500 on the side.

Hey Bob,

There is a product made specifically for what you want. Experts Decals maker also has a line of various colored self adhesive foils. They are micro thin. Just cut a piece with scissors to approximate the size of the chrome, then peel off the sheet. position over the chrome parts, then rub or burnish until they are smooth and look just like chrome, then, using an exacto knife, run it around the edges and peel off the part that is on the paint. It is fantastic stuff and, they have both chrome and a gold foil for the center of your Fairlane side trim. Here is the web address.

http://www.bare-metal.com/

Dad

And make sure you use a brand new, extra sharp knife blade when trimming the bare metal foil. It's pretty easy, don't
push too hard, let the weight of the knife do the cutting.

Tom

Oh yeah, I' got a fresh sheet of Bright Chrome, thought the Alclad Chrome would work but it's not as bright as the BMF. I've applied it to the accents on the body so far. I may leave the inlay in the chrome unpainted. I didn't paint it like I planned and coming back to brush paint would be not good. Call it creative license. :mpup

Thanks Jeff, you're way to kind

Well, we're up on wheels

Hotrod020.jpg

Oh yeah, I caught the grill being out of wonk, I wonked it back in place and all's good again.

Hotrod021.jpg

Hotrod022.jpg

The rear axle is too wide, the tires are rubbing on the fender. I didn't realize it till it was in place. It's like the frame is bent, it's sitting kinda wonky.

Yes, it's glued in place. Next up to figure out the Roll Bar, more specifically, what to wrap it in. Then the skirt thing they have over the rest of the interior that's going to hide that hideous paint job in there.

Oh more drama, more issues.

The decal sheet I got does not have enough "2" to make all the 22s needed for Fireball Robert's ride. I did purchase another sheet to give me enough "2" decals but I'll be damned if I can find it anywhere. I will not do Fireball Roberts car with anything other than his 22 number.

What I'll do is use the Joe Weatherly markings. There is no "supercharged" decal for Joe Weatherly's ride and the HP decal is incorrect but at this point, i'm going for a completion.

Next tribute I do to one of my Dad's pictures will be of something that's far more common and better supported.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

Could you not scan it and print it out on decal paper? Sprue brothers sells some sheets and Testers has a decal solution in a box with disk, paper, and clear coat. That way you can do the car you want. Dont give up the dream yet Bob.
James

I could James, I have to get white decal paper because I don't have a Alps printer. Lots of white on this. But at this point, with a week left to go, I'd rather get it decaled up, roll bar installed and the cover built ASAP. I've been fartin' around with this long enough, time to get busy.

Okay, only other option is scan and cut masks. Print out marking, lay wax paper over then tamiya tape and use sharp knife. Or go the way you are and make a different car ;)
James :D

I'll be moving this out of the Hot Rod Campaign but here's where I stand today.

Hotrod023.jpg

Hotrod024.jpg

I started working on the roll bar this week but I've been down in my back the last couple of days, no way I could bring this little best in.

I'll let this rest a while, pick it back up when more inspired.

Hey, all those painted parts look really good! (y) :D Hoping your back gets better soon! (y)

Just looks great!

You took a sow's ear and made a silk purse! Way to go Son, (y) (y) (y) (y)

What's wrong with your back?

Dad

I was washing the dogs the other day and picked up one and must have caught my back bad, little stinker ran out and rolled in the mud when done.... Hurts like hell and not letting up. Going to a real doctor tomorrow about it.

Thanks for the kind words Dad, :mpup

Back