• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

D-Day Obstacles

iambrb

hello to all, and thanks so much for reading!

I am gathinering info for the Normandy Group build, and I need some info. What do you call those large X-shaped objects on the beach on D-Day (the ones you see guys clinging to in Saving Private Ryan)? I know that they were to rip open landing craft, but cannot remember the name. Any links to pics or specs would sure be helpful...thanks!

Tank traps.

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=1058&bih=855&q=%22tank+traps%22&aq=f&aqi=g2g-m5&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=4aeaa14e93ada747

hth
James

thanks, but I think that they are CZECH HEDGEHOGS (there are Hedgehogs in Czechloslovakia? - why am I thinking of the old Sega game with a European accent?)

Check it under Wikipedia.

The term I have always heard is caltrops, the X shaped tank and landing craft barrier. Here's an article that explains them and their origin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caltrop
Hope this helps!!:D

All the mentioned terms are in that Wiki article, interesting too that they were used against elephants early on.:hmmm I suppose smaller versions would be anti personnel and larger ones would stop vehicles. They would be an easy scratch build, 1/35 scale Plastruct or Evergreen I beams and Pro Weld.

Tamayia made a set years back. I cant remember what there called either...dragons teeth were the concrete pyrymid shapped blocks used as anti tank blocks.Try squardron .com

Caltrops are an anti personnel weapon from way back. They look like jacks and no matter how you throw them, they always have a sharp point up. They where great for stopping chariots etc. Modern uses would be for stopping cars. I believe (dating myself) that the Green Hornet and Batman used them if you watch the oldies. Dragons teeth should be the cement teeth type obstacles. The beach defenses where metal or wood. Usually the caltropish looking ones in metal although I have seen some in woo.rd posts. They should puncture or stop boats etc from coming ashore. Then there where posts with mines attached also, as well as barbed wire. D Day was planned around a low tide to negate these defenses. If you get evergreen plastic I beams you can make your own pretty easy.
James

bobdoug.jpg

Stop making fun of people from Canadia .

Now those hedgamahogs were put to good use by the allies as they were cut apart an welded into hedgerow prongies (techamalogical term ;) )

Jenny :kiss:

I'm glad someone knows what the heck they are talking about....plain English makes it easy :D

Tom

Why just last week a friend of mine was visiting from Canada and walked into our living room and just stared .

I asked him if everything was ok , ......... he pointed and said " what's that over there "

I answered ........ " a chair "

He said " yep we have them in Canada too "

I said ........ " Oh yeah what do you call them in Canada ? "

He said , .......... " A chair "

But the real thing that freaked him out was when I brought him to a mall , ............ :blink :blink :blink

Back