• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTAIII - Marineflieger F-104G (1/72 Academy)

helios

I've got this kit a couple years ago as a Secret Santa exchange on another site before things kinda fell apart. It's been bugging me lately that I still haven't built it yet...so by god, I'm gonna build it this holiday season.

Since I suspect the Golf will likely go fairly quickly (curbside model), I figured I could probably slide this one right in there. Due to the modeling of the landing gear, this one will be built wheels up in flight. I've been wanting to try this for a while, particularly since I've got an idea for the MiG-15 trio I got from Saul. So this will give me a chance to play with a couple ideas before I go into a multi-plane build.

Plus hey, the Marineflieger birds are pretty cool anyways. And more builds equals more donations. Am I right? :laugh:

DSCF2132.JPG

Hmmm, may need to track down a pair of Kormorans for it. :hmmm

F-104G_with_Kormoran.jpg

Looks like SprueBros has a set for $9 if I don't turn up something in my stash I can rob. Still probably going to have to modify/adapt some pylons though.

Super basic cockpit means it's already starting to look like a plane. :pilot

I'm going to try to locate some clear acrylic rod locally tomorrow so I can modify the airframe to accept the post.

DSCF2134.JPG

Well, I was wanting to experiment. I had a couple crazy notions in my head when I went out to the hardware store & hobby shop. Things are going to be a little silly. Should be an interesting experiment though! :blink

DSCF2137.JPG

Edit: Now the picture is normal... :idonno

Calling it an early night tonight...maybe. :laugh:

Things are progressing forward. Looking to have her in paint this weekend. Slimmed down the fins on the drops. Installed drops & doors. Added a post sleeve for the stand rod to slide into. This will allow 2 things, the display will be able to be torn down for portability and also allow the ability to swap bases around w/ other models that I use the same mounting system. The possibilities! :yipee

DSCF2138.JPG

DSCF2139.JPG

DSCF2141.JPG

I didn't know Academy made a 1/72 F-104! :coolio

Are those rock molds for your base? :popcorn :popcorn :popcorn

This boxing is from '85/6, though the mold dates back to the '70s. And yeah, the molds are for the base. I could do something simple...but I had a vision and I want to play with that idea. :evil:

I only spent a couple hours at the bench yesterday, so there was only a little progress. Painted the orange on the wing tanks, installed the pylons and tinted the canopy in the hopes to mute the lack of detail in the pit. I also got the canopy masked, so it should be about ready for paint.

DSCF2143.JPG

Took a pic...then squirreled and forgot to upload it. :smack

Base colors are down, but still need to do the black around the intakes and the 3rd grey on the radome. I had started out w/ a Norm 76 scheme intent...but then the topside color I used ended up not being what I was expecting. But it ended up being not too far off from the Norm 62 color, so made a running change and steered the new course. I wasn't aware the intakes were molded quite a bit off...although you likely wouldn't notice unless you were a Starfighter fanatic...or happen to be doing a German MFG scheme. Once I get the pics posted, you'll see what I mean. I had a choice of keeping the color change line running through the center of the intakes and bending the line down the side, or keeping the straight line through the wing and living with the centers of the intakes being a little high. I decided the later was the lesser of 2 evils. :unsure:

More to come soon.

PS: The Kormorans are enroute via Victory Models. :pilot

The 2 birds with one stone pic.

You can see how the centers of the intakes are a bit too long, and how they ride up a little high on the side of the fuselage. It's a little disappointing, but it's not the end of the world as the main intent of this project was to try some new things. ;)

DSCF2157.JPG

Back