• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Entry Skinny_Mike Ta-152C

I need to try the new Alclad stuff since my SNJ paints are... umm... dry.

USFW190034.jpg
This plane brings a smile each time I see it. Nice!

Regards,

Thanks for the advice on the red guys. I didn't even think about the fact that I was spraying over yellow. I'm going to try an experiment to see what I like better, but for now I went with good old Tamiya Red. I also sprayed on the "RLM84" and some RLM82 on the wings. Unfortunately I forgot to take incremental pictures. I should have some in the near future, once I get the RLM83 down on the wings. Hopefully that will be tomorrow.

See you all soon!

Hey guys. Hope everyone had a great new years!

Lots of work for only a small update. But the paint is on! The aircraft is painted in the late war 82/83/"84" scheme seen on many later war Dora's. Figured that made sense because the Ta-152 was set to be manufactured at the same factories as the Fw-190D's (How do you think they came about with the Fw-190's with the Ta-152 tail! :woohoo: So my color choices... I used Gunze Aqueous H74 Sky for the "RLM84". I got the idea from someone else's Ta-152 build on another website and I thought I would give it a try. In all honesty, its REALLY green. I like the polly scale RLM84 better, but I might try Tamiya IJA Grey in the future as the green is a little more subtle. Oh well, I hope my weathering will tone it down a little bit. I used the White Ensign Colorcoats for the 82/83. I think it looks pretty good. Painting was done with paper masks. I used 3M double sided tape, cut in little strips, to attach the masks to the model which gave an offset. This created a bit of a feather edge for all the colors. I got some over spray that I'm not super happy about, but I can live with it. The over spray helps give a bit of a mottled edge. (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!) The real key is that I need to improve my airbrushing skills quite a bit. I think that will be my new years resolution. The power egg was given a mis-matched pattern on purpose because typically the whole engine assembly showed up from the manufacturer, Daimler Benz in this case, with all the external panels attached and painted ready to be installed on the airframe.

All right - here are the pics...

Post91_zpsb7f782db.jpg

Post92_zps34597022.jpg

Post93_zps8690a752.jpg

So its moving along. There are some things that need touching up and a few additions here and there, but I should be applying the decals this weekend.

Thanks for looking! See you soon
Skinny Mike

I need a little bit of help guys. I think the plane is missing something in the finish. I want to do some mottling on the tail. But as I stated already, my airbrushing skills are not the best :bang head . Can any one give me some tips on how to best get a good looking mottle on this airplane?

Thanks for your help!
Skinny Mike

Call for Matrixone...oh Les!

Here's a link to one of Les's lessons on mottling.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/wesendorf-field/124643-he219-a7?limit=8&start=16#126412

Thanks for the link Moon Puppy. That was helpful, but I’ll get to that in a minute.

I have all the touch ups and the major painting done for the aircraft. I’m planning to start decaling tomorrow.

Post101_zpsca5b8acd.jpg

Post102_zps5beade9c.jpg

Now on to the mottling… You can see on the tail that I got some mottling down. On big change for this part was to get out my Iwata HP-C Plus airbrush that I bought a few months ago and frankly have been too scared to use! I typically use a Paasche Talon, which has served me well over the last couple of years. The mottle doesn’t look terrible from a couple of feet away and its not too shabby for my first attempt free hand. But if you look closely…

Post103_zpsa648238d.jpg

I spent a couple of hours with an old model and different paint mixtures and air pressure settings etc. and I practiced until I got what I thought was good results. But there is still a lot of graininess. The details are: Testors Model Master RLM 82 green thinner 1:1 with lacquer thinner, sprayed at 8 psi. Anyone have any thoughts on where I went wrong?

Over all I think it looks ok and I think that future weathering will help tone it down a bit, but I would really like to get a little cleaner with this technique! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Decals to follow.

See you all soon.
Skinny Mike

that splattering could be cleaned up with some light touches of thinner, wouldn't use the lacquer thinner.

splattering could be any number of things but I'm not one who can tell you what went wrong, I have hard enough time figuring it out myself. Maybe someone else will chime with some advice.

Mike,
After looking closely at the mottles on your Ta 152 it looks like the paint might still be a little too thick, also you might try using Model Master's own thinner, I have had success airbrushing mottles using their own thinner. Other brands of thinner seem to dry a little too quick when airbrushing fine lines or mottles.

Oh, and one last thing...great looking model! :)

Matrixone

I agree with thinning the paint a bit more. I always used their enamel with the MM paints myself.

I think Lacquer thinner might be evaporating too quickly on you .

Cheers, Christian B)

Good looking FW. by the way !

Look s good even with the mottle finish being a little rough.
Have you tried using paint thinner? I use it for gloss enamels and it works wonders in the finish.

Hey guys. Sorry for the delay. I was out of town last weekend hadn’t got as far as I wanted to. Thanks you all for the kind words. And thanks for all the advice on the mottling. More practice is on the way.

For today’s update I have the decals completed. I used a combination of decals from a variety of places. The stenciling and the national insignias are all from a spare Eduard Fw-190d-9 sheet I had, which are printed by Cartograph. I gave the model a full set of factory stencils based on my references. The wing walkway markings were from the kit. Unfortunately these were really bad. They pretty much disintegrated and wouldn’t move around on the kit. You can see that that there is a missing piece, cause this one blew up on me. The wing for the Ta-152C is different from the D-9 so the Eduard walkways wouldn’t work. Unfortunate, but I’m not going to get too worried about it. I was also going to use the kit supplied green 13, but the green is really dark. Like a dark forest green and I didn’t like it. Also Hobby Boss did not include a matching green squadron bar, so I decided to use the green 9 from my Dragon Ta-152H kit. I have after-market decals for that kit. Green 9 was a H model but really nobody knows that, at least no one that sees my model cabinet! :pp The Dragon decals are also printed by Cartograph. I used Micro set and Micro Sol for all the decals and they all responded well.

I haven’t put the crosses on the bottom of the wings yet. I’m nervous about decaling over the Alclad and losing the metallic affect so once the weathering is done and the flat coat is on, I’m going to make masks and spray on my own. Should be fun.

Here are the photos!

Post111_zps35d1570a.jpg

Post112_zpscb0d7787.jpg

Post113_zps7487a37c.jpg

Next step will be a coat of future to seal in the decals followed by some washes to dirty it up a bit. I’ll also be finishing all the remaining piece parts.

Stay tuned
Mike

Hey guys. Sorry for the delay. I was out of town last weekend hadn’t got as far as I wanted to. Thanks you all for the kind words. And thanks for all the advice on the mottling. More practice is on the way.

For today’s update I have the decals completed. I used a combination of decals from a variety of places. The stenciling and the national insignias are all from a spare Eduard Fw-190d-9 sheet I had, which are printed by Cartograph. I gave the model a full set of factory stencils based on my references. The wing walkway markings were from the kit. Unfortunately these were really bad. They pretty much disintegrated and wouldn’t move around on the kit. You can see that that there is a missing piece, cause this one blew up on me. The wing for the Ta-152C is different from the D-9 so the Eduard walkways wouldn’t work. Unfortunate, but I’m not going to get too worried about it. I was also going to use the kit supplied green 13, but the green is really dark. Like a dark forest green and I didn’t like it. Also Hobby Boss did not include a matching green squadron bar, so I decided to use the green 9 from my Dragon Ta-152H kit. I have after-market decals for that kit. Green 9 was a H model but really nobody knows that, at least no one that sees my model cabinet! :pp The Dragon decals are also printed by Cartograph. I used Micro set and Micro Sol for all the decals and they all responded well.

I haven’t put the crosses on the bottom of the wings yet. I’m nervous about decaling over the Alclad and losing the metallic affect so once the weathering is done and the flat coat is on, I’m going to make masks and spray on my own. Should be fun.

Here are the photos!

Post111_zps35d1570a.jpg

Post112_zpscb0d7787.jpg

Post113_zps7487a37c.jpg

Next step will be a coat of future to seal in the decals followed by some washes to dirty it up a bit. I’ll also be finishing all the remaining piece parts.

Stay tuned
Mike

So close! Don't let time slip up on ya Mike :pilot

Thanks everyone for all the support and the kind feedback!
Don’t worry MP- I think I’m going to make it on this one!

On to the update! Sorry I don’t have a lot of step by steps for this post, but I have finished weathering the aircraft. I started with two coats of Future to get a nice shine on the airframe. Then I used MIG dark wash on the upper wings and I used a black wash made with oil paints for the fuselage and lower wing fronts. After that had set, I flat coated with Model Master Flat lacquer which leaves a dead flat finish and sealed everything in. Once that was dry I sprayed on the exhaust staining. I tried several combinations of the Tamiya paint Brown/Black mix that I see a lot of people using on the forums but I couldn’t get a mix I liked, so I went with Xtracolor Exhaust, thinned and sprayed on at low pressure. These inline engine Focke Wolf airplanes are always really dirty from the exhaust and I think I replicated that dark staining pretty well.

Post121_zps0fca895a.jpg

Post122_zps3e35d071.jpg

Post123_zpsfce578d9.jpg

Next step was adding the under wing crosses. I have never decaled over a NMF so I decided that I would paint on the marking instead to avoid visible carrier film. First thing to do was make masks, so I cut the crosses out of some frisket film using the kit decals as a template. I positioned them on the wing, masked off the adjacent area and sprayed on Vallejo Flat Black, then I removed the masks and touched up some of the areas that bled through.

Post124_zps9a5103db.jpg

Not as good as I would have liked, but good enough for this effort! Next I added the MLG. The Landing gear legs and actuators were first painted gloss black and then the shiny parts painted Alclad polished Aluminum. After a couple of days they were masked and sprayed RLM02. After a coat of future, the gear legs, actuators and the gear doors all received dark washes with MIG Dark wash, followed by a good flat coat. Then the polished areas where unmasked and the gear installed.

Post125_zps7fb33ce1.jpg

Post126_zps295d25c2.jpg

Last step was the introduction of some aftermarket parts…

Post127_zps85d73d31.jpg

I have a set of Quickboost Exhaust and a set of True Details resin wheels. I cleaned the parts in dish soap, primered both and set the wheels aside. The exhaust got painted in Vallejo Rust then I used MIG pigments for the dark exhaust staining. Then they were installed.

Post128_zps64172fb0.jpg

Post129_zps26ccb205.jpg

Well that’s where I am. I went through and made a list of the things I have left to do. It’s pretty short:

Paint and install the guns
Paint, assemble and install the canopy
Paint and install the wheels
Paint and install the antennas
Install the propeller

3 days to go! Wish me luck!
Mike

Sending :zen

looks great so far. You can do it! If you look at the prize vers completed builds, odds are in your favor to winning something so...git'er done! :pilot

Back