• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Contrail 1/72 Handley Page hP-42 Vac form

Check out the last line of text on the instruction sheet! Truer words were never written!
2010_0331Spock0311.jpg

:laugh:

at least they wrote a warning!

what an outstanding buil you have going on! that plane's huge! it'll be a gem in your collection when done!

Yep! and it is going much faster than anticipated!I have to get it ready for primering and painting.Much work to be done but it is starting to come together!

Okay! i mocked up the landing gear on the port side.I had to use brass tubing due to the great weight of the model.Tomorrow I will fabricate the starboard landing gear parts. here is a pic.
2010_0401Spock0167.jpg

Really nice work. I like Brass...Adds that touch, I think.

It's amazing the progress you're making on such a difficult build. Git'er Done Philo!

I used the brass mainly due to its strength!Yes I would agree that this is going much faster than I anticipated!I don't know things just seem to be falling into place!

Shot the first coat of primer today.I had to prop it up to avoid strut damage.Next up; i plan to shoot some yellow on the underside of the fuselage and wings.
2010_0403Spock0168.jpg

Getting primer on is a major step towards completion. It's down hill from here. How many gallons did it take?

Well I only had to re-fill the color cup once so it wasn't too bad!THe yellow will take a few coats to achieve full color saturation.

Primered the underside of the wing and the tail unit.This baby has serious wingspan!Good thing I bought the large bottle of neutral gray!
2010_0404Spock0168.jpg

I free-hand painted the cammo with my Thayer & Chandler double-action airbrush today.One of my fave parts of modeling!
2010_0406Spock0335.jpg
2010_0406Spock0334.jpg

Hi there.

I'm just curious but I have a question regarding the holes in that wing. I notice that the holes are not in the same position on each side of the wing. Is that something that is uniques to this aircraft?

Thanks and cheers from Peter

Thats coming along very nicely. Vacs are not my forte and I'm always impressed when I see one being built. Nice paint job so far also.
James

You are correct Tankbuilder about the holes.I had to fill and drill additional holes to bring the wing down to the point that the struts would touch on both sides.I used the plans as a guide but I must have made an error and re-locating some of the holes was the only way I could think of top correct the problem.Test fitting the wing brought it down and it looks good so hopefully it will work out.if not I will have think of something else!

I can't believe how well you are sticking to this difficult build. It's really paying off. Git'er Done Phil!

What? Do you think I would give up on this?PLus I have not run into any horrendous difficulties to date.To tell you the truth it is going much faster than I thought possible when I started it! The only tricky part will be attaching the top wing.That I will do in stages.Once that is completed it should be downhill from there!

That's a great scheme- wow! My friend, I feel your pain on the going the distance on this amazing effort- but you're really making it shine.

Cheers!
chuk

Back