• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Colossus-Building the Bismarck-Trumpeter 1/200th

Right, another small update.

Working on the main deck, making sure everything that needs to be there, is there, before I start adding the superstructure. In an orderly fashion (good luck to me, with over 2,000 parts, kit and after market, combined), from the bow, the three anchors, chains and all.

The real thing ....

The kit does not include anything but the thicker anchor chain. The other one is going through one of the links and then through the eyelets left and right. The three eyelets (don't really know what the proper marine term for these is) come with the aftermarket kit. The photo shows one of them, as it appears on the PE fret. It must be folded along the median line, then you get the correct shape, with a 0.5mm hole in it. Perfect for 0.5mm copper wire.

How many of these must I produce? Only 9 ...!@#*$(#&%^*#&%^$#*&^. Three that can be seen in the original photo, two other bow anchors x 2 each, plus two more for the stern anchor. I have done 5 so far, photos soon.

Thanks for watching,

Laurence
Nose_anchor.jpg
IMG_6023a.JPG

Nice detail on something so tiny! Remember to insert your photos after attaching so they will show. Looking good!

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the U shaped piece. Carry on.
Nothing to worry about Mike, thanks for trying to help.

An update - more stuff going in on the main deck. Anchors, chains, missing PE bits and the first level of the superstructure. Some PE parts are not painted prior. Easier to do so when in place, at least that's how I find it.

Some pieces of paper to protect the deck from being panted over.

IMG_6024a.JPG

IMG_6026a.JPG

Stuff at stern - most of it unpainted PE parts.

IMG_6025a.JPG

First level of the superstructure. Comes in two halves, the bow facing half is clamped, the stern facing half was done yesterday.

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Minor update.

Working on the big turrets - 15" guns. 4 pieces of massive turrets, two guns per turret. Slight differences in terms of hand rails. Turret A - Anton was the only one without a range finder.
Working with PE is not my idea of fun, but in the end it's worth it - having said that, the pain is infuriating, especially since whoever designed the thinnest pieces of PE ever, never spent a second imagining how to glue them to the turrets.
After a couple of attempts, I decided to drill 0.3mm holes, use 0.3mm pins (Albion alloy tube - splendid stuff), then glue the rails to the pins.

IMG_6028.JPG

One more photo, with all PE in place using the pins.

IMG_6032.JPG

Pins were not used for the ladders (one on each side), only for the rails - 4 on top. then 2 x 2.

Two other turrets have a different rail configuration, with three smaller segments at the rear (on top) instead of one segment.

Have a few more turrets to do, happy with the drill & pin stuff so far.

Thanks for looking,

Laurence

Back