• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader 'On deck'

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

:yipee - Got a couple of uninterrupted hours in the Man-Cave and got very busy with three projects and photographed a fourth !! . So priority to the ongoing Crusader build.

hb00002c.JPG

hd049577.JPG

The wheel bays are crying out for extra detailing, but I stepped back from doing any simply because the last time I did a shed-load of extra work on a project - the MiG 23 from last year - I lost-sight of the finishing line, and lost my enthusiasm. With the Crusader it's different, I really want this in my cabinet as soon as I can... simple as that.

heefd6d7.JPG

h317af12.JPG

hcbcec83.JPG

Inside of the canopy frames will appear black so I masked and sprayed around the 'cab', also sprayed the rear fuselage ready for a couple of coats of Alclad later in the week. So that's it for the F-8, more 'Works in progress' in a few mins... standby.

Ian.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

That rocks! Man I am impressed. This is motivating me to find one of my F-8 Crusaders in my stash and get started on it. Keep going man!

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

Just over a month since the last update, and we're back...

So as you can see the fuselage has been pre-shaded and had its' first thin coat of glossy white applied. Trying to reproduce the heat-stressing effect at the rear of the fuselage by applying random bands of dark grey and dark red brown. Not sure how it will turn-out, but there's only one way to find-out, right. :idonno

Sort-of stealing/adapting Matrixone's technique, I also sprayed random mottles of dark grey all around to simulate the 'spot-painting' that you see on US carrier aircraft at the end of their deployment (I'll spray some lighter mottle next time, probably Tamiya 'Deck Tan' or 'Buff') .

h1cf8d31.jpg

hbefe6a7.jpg

h596cb00.jpg

hc8f2406.jpg

h21724ad.jpg

Please feel free to ask any questions or make any comments.

AFN

Ian.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

Paint is occurring:

h7aa4bbf.jpg

h2c41e27.jpg

h93a9ab8.jpg

h5f3fe30.jpg

hc71dc15.jpg

Just one fairly thin coat of Xtracolour enamel Lt. Gull Grey. I'd lightened this tin a little while ago, perhaps too much. For the next thin coat I'll use a fresh unopened one and spray a random 'cloud pattern'. Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment.

AFN

Ian.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

I like it. I have yet to try something like this one any of my models. I might have to give it a try someday.

Back