• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader 'On deck'

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

Love the Crusader. Probably one of my favorite early Vietnam era aircraft.

I need to get back to mine one day.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

A day later than advertised, but here's a quick update:

h46ed70a.jpg

Started not with the 'pit :eek:hmy: , but with the wings/flaps etc, all of which went together without any fuss whatsoever. Because there's so much white bits to paint, I uncorked a rattle-can of Tamiya (fine) white primer and sprayed everything in one session, not just what you see here but all the doors aswell.

hf8bd961.jpg

On Sunday evening I sprayed the inside of fuselage halves and the pit then masked and sprayed the consoles & IP in an 'off black' that I mixed some time back for just these sort of jobs. Yesterday I dry brushed everything and picked some details out with a 'kebab stick'. All those references tell me that the 'office' was almost completely devoid of any colour whatsoever so this is as much as I'm going to do.

The 'Cobra Company' resin seat was designed for the old Monogram kit but fits like a glove in to the Hasegawa pit. Trying not to get too 'poetic', but it really is a magnificent piece of casting, easily one of the very best resin seats that I've ever seen - full stop.

That's all for now, more later in the week.

Ian.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

90 uninterrupted minutes in the 'man-cave' and this happened:

hb711712.jpg

hf548482.jpg

h0dada7c.jpg

Hopefully more soon, stay tuned.

Ian.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

Cooled-off enough to get some bench-time this morning, so brought the fuselages halves together, dropped the (now painted) seat in and cemented the canopies in to place after masking them-up.

I'd already added most of the landing gear and given the underside a light coat of Tamiya (fine) white primer.

So here's a couple of quick'n nasty phone photos just to give you an idea of where I'm up to.

h0b9b4af.jpg

h3aaf813.jpg

h8ff1e6f.jpg

Hopefully get more done after Monday, but I have to fit modelling in around 'managing' Daddies Little Stormtroopers, so no guarantees whatsoever. Thanks for taking the time to look and HNY to all here.

Ian.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

Looks good Ian!

Is the Hasegawa kit the same as the Revell kit or are they different molds?

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

I hope our little website grows enough for us to have our own branded plastic weld. (y)

Great work Ian, cockpit rocks! :popcorn

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

If Memory serves, the Revell 1/48 F-8E is the old Monogram mold, with shiny nice new decals, and the Hasegawa kit we see before us was a new tooling :drool when it was released.
Magnificent so far Ian! :ro:
"Daddie's little Stormtroopers"! :rotf

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

Is the Hasegawa kit the same as the Revell kit or are they different molds?

Yep Hasegawa kit is 'all their own work' and Rhino's memory is spot-on, the Revell kit is a re-tread of the old Monogram kit complete with inaccurate 'winders and 'kneeling' undercarriage.

Ian.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

Hey Ian,

You have this looking good Sir (y) (y)

Looking forward to you building a bunch of jets this year!!!

Randy

Back