• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bismarck - Doing the Sea - Take #2

I am still impressed with the fact you are doing a sea on this large of a model. Sometimes the best way to get through it is a little bit at a time and ponder the next step in between.
3D-Looks Good.gif

Time for another update ... tried many ways of adding thin transparent layers that would be dry brushed so to create the illusion of depth. First I tried Selleys all clear caulk but, even though it did dry clear, there was a zillion tiny air bubbles trapped in the "silicone" - not a silicone, but a co-polymer sealant as they call it. Had to strip the small portion that I laid, repaint the base, few square inches, no big deal. Then I found Sika Crystal Clear caulk, this does not bubble at all but I ran into two other things.

IMG_2770b.jpg

#1 - I used a spatula to spread the silicone, bit of moisture (water) the result looks bad - portions of it appear white, not clear (called them streaks)

#2 - the two white lines show the segment of silicone, only this time I used my finger dipped in a bit of water mixed with a tiny drop of dish washing liquid. Much better, smooth and no bubbles, the only problem is that, pressing with my finger, I left fingerprints all over, which gives it a cloudy appearance.

I stripped the #1 portion and about to repaint it, #2 I will leave it as is, paint over it the same base color and then try to apply the silicone again, only this time either use latex gloves or a spatula dipped in the same water / dish washing mix and flatten it to the right thickness.

Thanks for watching, this is still a discovery journey, hope this time works.

Laurence

Thanks Paul - I was feeling adventurous, trying new things. Go big or go home kind of a thing, may not be everyone's cup of tea.
I know what you mean in that I have several large aircraft and the plans for them call for boards that are going to be at least 26 x 26 inches. The fun part will be coming up with some kind of display case to hold them. Will probably have to build that as well.

I know what you mean in that I have several large aircraft and the plans for them call for boards that are going to be at least 26 x 26 inches. The fun part will be coming up with some kind of display case to hold them. Will probably have to build that as well.
With you on that one - I went for a glass display cabinet from IKEA - I have an A10 sitting on a square mirror-like tile (IKEA again). Cabinet is all glass (except for top and bottom) including the three shelves.

Managed to find the solution - SIKA silicone (all clear) caulk and then flatten and smooth with finger (in a food-prep latex glove) dipped in methylated spirit. It dries totally clear. Now onto covering the whole base with that stuff and shaping waves etc etc etc - F U N !!!

Few months later ....

IMG_2937a.JPG

And from the side ...

IMG_2938a.JPG

Everything covered with a thin layer of clear silicone - totally clear / transparent, plus some shaping of the water to add realism and make it look very choppy.
Cotton added by first laying some more silicone, so the waves are not "flat" when looking from a side. All those waves there consist of multiple additions of cotton, slowly "building" them up.
The ship is not fixed to the base yet.
Lots more work to do.
Thanks for watching,
Laurence

It's not easy to make cotton look like water. It's, well, it's cotton. Big Don Barry used to drip isopropyl alcohol on his water media. the small bubbles just vanish. Does the big base have attachments for wheels and a towing hitch? :lol:

The frame is hovering above ground, sort of a gravitational mambo-jumbo lingo thing here :bigrin:

The silicone I am using leaves no trapped bubbles, which is great - the previous one I tried was impossible to use - a TON of bubbles . Also using methylated spirits to smooth it and prevent it from sticking to my fingers when laying it down.
Once the cotton is stuck to the base (using a bit of silicone for that), I am using a bit of hairspray to make it stiff and give it a bit of a glossy / shiny look.

Laurence

The frame is hovering above ground, sort of a gravitational mambo-jumbo lingo thing here :bigrin:

The silicone I am using leaves no trapped bubbles, which is great - the previous one I tried was impossible to use - a TON of bubbles . Also using methylated spirits to smooth it and prevent it from sticking to my fingers when laying it down.
Once the cotton is stuck to the base (using a bit of silicone for that), I am using a bit of hairspray to make it stiff and give it a bit of a glossy / shiny look.

Laurence
I did not imagine I could share anything you hadn't tried on your extraordinary Bismarck. I only know a few tricks.
Cheers! :Drinks:

Back