• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bismarck - Doing the Sea - Take #2

White_Wolf

Master at Arms
Right, some progress on redoing the base and the water.
Once the frame and the foam were in place, I covered the green foam with aluminium foil, then air drying clay, bit by bit, starting from the edges going inward. Now I have to let everything dry thoroughly, I guess two to three more days.

IMG_2633a.JPG

Masked the top of the frame, the residue from the clay is stubborn and it takes some effort to remove.

Also corrected a few things on the ship, cleaned it up to remove all residue from the previous attempt, including respraying the sides of the hull.

IMG_2635a.JPG

The black waterline is now visible, it will remain so in places, not quite everywhere, but that will come later.

IMG_2636a.JPG

Have to redo some of the weathering along the hull, but that is not the most complicated part. I think I will continue with the water for a while, before I set the ship on the base. No rush.

Thanks for watching,
Laurence

Time to play with paints to get the colors I am after - initially I thought different shades of blue, but then I decided against it - the Baltic is green-grey when angry and I want this to be a total biatch ....big time, no holding back. So, green-grey it is, well, primarily anyway.

IMG_2678a.JPG

After painting the whole thing a mix of ultramarine/black/bit of white, I have started using olive green with white highlights, a more aggressive dry brushing kind of a thing. This is just the bottom layer of things to come and it looks lighter than it is in reality.

A different angle below:

IMG_2680a.JPG

Not 100% in focus, but I guess it is indicative enough of what I am trying to do here. Now, I have to do the whole thing by hand, bit by bit, which may take a while.

Have not had a lot of time to work on this. Doing my best to get this done, I have a promise to keep.

Thanks for all your kind words,

Laurence

Amazing, looking swell. I remember Dad talking about one of the dioramas that Lewis did in the open sea and how burnt umber really made a difference with it. I'm not the artistic one around here so I'm not sure how that works. He commented that it didn't make sense but it sure worked.

Amazing, looking swell. I remember Dad talking about one of the dioramas that Lewis did in the open sea and how burnt umber really made a difference with it. I'm not the artistic one around here so I'm not sure how that works. He commented that it didn't make sense but it sure worked.
Thanks Bob. Burnt umber is on the list, still experimenting here.

Laurence

I didn't want to impede your mojo, but that clay looks like a cast-iron pain in the a$$!
It is a massive one, but it's got advantages that are hard to ignore. For a smaller scale I would have chosen a different way to do the sea, but this one allows for a lot more detail, which is what I am after.

Back