• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

BATTLE BLOG # 1 - THE LAST TIGER / BERLIN '45

Those really light wheels, wonder if they would be primer only? I know it's suppose to be red but who knows what red would look like in this B/W shot. Didn't someone tell me that some primer was white? :hmmm

MP - the only 2 German primer colors that I know of where Red Oxide and an experimental light grey that has been found on Panthers and King Tigers, applied in the factory. I mentioned this in my 17CM Grille build so maybe that was where you heard something?
Because this chassis is so early I do not think that it would have any grey and it would be a first for it to be used on outer road wheels on A Tiger 1, but stranger things have happened - it's a possibility I suppose.

Ian.

This Jagdtiger is painted with redoxid.

hdebd5b3.jpg

Thanks Gall68,
I have seen this shot before, as well as some other and the oxide appears quite light (Mig painted the end tank as a dark yellow) - these may be factory finished in D.Yellow as well - do you have the color shot?

Ian.

Those really light wheels, wonder if they would be primer only? I know it's suppose to be red but who knows what red would look like in this B/W shot. Didn't someone tell me that some primer was white? :hmmm

MP - the only 2 German primer colors that I know of where Red Oxide and an experimental light grey that has been found on Panthers and King Tigers, applied in the factory. I mentioned this in my 17CM Grille build so maybe that was where you heard something?
Because this chassis is so early I do not think that it would have any grey and it would be a first for it to be used on outer road wheels on A Tiger 1, but stranger things have happened - it's a possibility I suppose.

Ian.

The only thing I would have heard about would have been spoken here. I was just thinking that if this was such a cobbled together tank that maybe they grabbed some roadwheels from the shop floor that was a part of some early development, maybe some one offs. they do look mighty light.

It could be that these are white washed wheels coming from spares maybe. At first I was thinking that it might be white ash, but only 2 wheels rubber is washed out the front wheel looks to have new rubber. So I dont think ash could be it. But if they robbed the wheels from a tank that was white washed and then had to mount them that would maybe explain the look. Interesting question though.
James

Great discussion and ideas :popcorn

James , the tank shows no signs of burn damage, so I definitely think the ash idea is out, however the wheel replacement is a strong one - both you and MP have put forward different scenarios and I too feel that they have been replaced.
The white wash is a long shot, only because this is summer and the wheels just look to good for 1945 white wash application - they tended to slap it on to the tank and if these had come from a whitewashed vehicle from the winter the whitewash would not be that evenly and professionally applied.
Plus it would provide a lighthouse like effect if in white - some of this fighting was at night.
The yellow is not much better than the white when brand new, but at least it would be a little less reflective.

My call is that the wheels are being highlighted by the fact that the rest of the tank is quite dirty and darker and the wheels are 'factory finish brand new'. The tank body yellow has a lot more over-spray and weathering on top than the yellow on the wheels. I looked at some references I have of factory fresh dark yellow tigers and they are very light colored when just arrived in the field.

I have seen this happen with color and B&W oils, when painting a landscape picture. When you mix the color on the palette separately it can easily appear to dark or light against the colors on the canvas,and you tend to adjust it accordingly. However, as soon as you place that color amongst the others your eye perceives it differently, and you always have to tone it up or down to adjust it - sometimes quite a lot.
I am going to go with a brand new dark yellow for these wheels and have the rest of the tank way more weathered and over-sprayed with German cammo brown.

Thanks for the help guys, these discussions always make me think and consider further.
:coolio :ro: :)

Ian.

OCTOBER BUILD UPDATE

Fixes to the side PE and wheel pins , rear tool box frame ETC done - about to start painting.....

DSC00880_zps702afb8b.jpg

DSC00888_zps1560bff1.jpg

DSC00889_zpsaaea4db1.jpg

Small update - pictures once finished.
Currently putting together a set of late model Tiger tracks from Model Kasten for this and will add the radiator pipe to the rear deck bay that is exposed.
Finishing this one off for paint as this will also be my next tank subject for a painting that has already been pre -ordered so stay tuned.

Ian.

Back