• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Anigrand 1/72 McDonnell P-67B Moonbat "Virgin Widow II"

20220321_080314.jpg

FOUND IT! Oddly enough, this one bears a striking resemblance to the radar pod used on the Grumman F6F-5N and the Vought F4U-2N as well. :hmm:

20220525_012613.jpg

It's been a while.......................
Outer wing panels and radar pod attached.
20220525_012623.jpg
20220525_015729.jpg
20220525_012618.jpg

The radar pod fits an F4U-2N Corsair. the wing profiles diifer from Corsair to Moonbat. As with every other joint on this model, there will be filling and sanding to get every one of the "Just so".
20220525_020017.jpg

At the same time, She's starting to look quite Monnbat-ish, Don't you think?

Thanks again for looking in!

Thanks Men! Kit-bash a Gloster Meteor and a Moonbat together? The jet conversion idea tempted me. Lots of other ideas did too.
Basler turboprop conversion? Longer wings? Hmm. I did agree I would build the Anigrand resin kit the way it (mostly) is so others could see how it goes together.

Anigrand Kit flaw alert!
20220526_181411.jpg20220526_181514.jpg20220526_184708.jpg
The portside wing doesn't quite line up. you can change the attachment points OR use the kit tabs and holes and build up the leading edge of the left wing. I chose the later. I couldn't rush the chemicals on Red Nose Day so I let it ride to make supper.
20220526_165039.jpg20220526_165046.jpg
I LOVE Red Nose Day! I skeer't the puddin' out of the Arby's drive-thru kid! The Roger Rabbit impression probably didn't help much.
:pilot

:oldguy:

:salute:

How's the trailing edge?
If you change the attachment points, you have to re-scribe the whole wing. The trailing edge will need a little finesse, but is otherwise dandy.
Anigrand's resin scribes and sands easily. Perhaps too easily. :coolio2:

20221012_175330.jpg20221012_195643.jpg
Masking, filling with dabs of C/A glue, preparing to sand the filled gap to (Wuht?) Yes. Again. Filling all the flaws gets tedious. That's why I took a needed break to Create!
20221012_200921.jpg
The ease of sanding Anigrand's resin sometimes means you remove too much. NBD! Glue on a chunk of any handy plastic/resin bit, and shape.
20221013_001318.jpg
Shell ejection chutes for the 37 & 20mm guns. Not sure about these yet. Another "Fill/sand/cuss/repeat" session may well be in the offing.
Thanks again for looking in! :plane:oldguy::salute:

20221015_083135.jpg
Copper and brass tubing bosses going in. 3 Different diameters of good ol' K&S tubing to get to the prop shaft size.
20221015_090753.jpg20221015_090238.jpg
Test fit of the Quick-Boost 1/72 Rotol 5-bladed fan. Does this mean Allison liscense-built Rolls-Royce Griffon engines in 1946? Could be, Wrabbut, could be. For those of you following along to be an OOB build, I apologize. The Rotols are going on. They just look mean.
Now, notice the Rotol spinner diameter doesn't exactly fit the Moonbat nacelles? Not very cricket that, mate!
20221015_094139.jpg
MUHHU HAHA HAhaha HA! I have a Dremel and I'm not afraid to use it!
20221015_104348.jpg
Another Builder's note to Anigrand 1/72 XP-67 owners. The Port nacelle is smaller than the Starboard. I decided to 'machine" both spinners to almost the same diameter to make the flaw less obvious.

Hint! If your Quick-boost 1/72 Spitfire XIV propeller tool that properly aligns the blades with the spinner doesn't have a complete hole in the center, drill out the dimple where it should be. This will be a big help finding center of the spinner to drill for your brass tube propeller shaft.
I found this resin easy to drill and sand. It's very nice!

HINT 2! The Dremel spins too fast to sand (melt) the resin spinners effectively. I went and got Teresa's little Milwaukee cordless drill and that worked much better! Make sure your sanding stick is sopping wet and keep it moving!
Now, where did I put those extra oil cooler chin scoops.......................:silly:
External fuel tanks and mounts..........................:wow:
ECM pod......................:drool:
:oldguy:
:salute:
:plane

If your Dremel spins too fast you need one of these. They can be found on Evil Bee for a reasonable amount. Get one and you will never use your Dremel without it again.

Dremel Speed Control.jpg

I have had mine for over 20 years and it makes such a difference in how the tool works. It slows the Dremel down way slower than the speed control on the drill. My Dremel has a speed control and all I do is turn it on full bore and use the speed control to regulate it. It will also keep the wear and tear on the Dremel down as well. To turn it off and on slide the red switch.

Another Builder's note to Anigrand 1/72 XP-67 owners. The Port nacelle is smaller than the Starboard. I decided to 'machine" both spinners to almost the same diameter to make the flaw less obvious.

Nice trick but wonder how the error could be corrected?

Frank makes a LOT more resin airplane models than I do. I I called to ask for his input about him how a resin airplane model that requires so much "Blacksmithing" could be touted as one of the best around. His response was "Newer Anigrand kits are top notch. It was not so when they made their Moonbat kit." (Our model conversation lasted over 4 hours. )
Yeah. I think I learned that already. In Anigrand's defense, this is my first resin airplane model and I keep adding stuff to it. 20221016_083527.jpg
Time to chop up the donor white metal landing gear!! SAC's 1/72 A-26 Invader set is the victim of this crime.
20221016_083602.jpg
The nose gear leg should work without too much fuss. I seek a new metal nose wheel. :hmm::bm:

Back