• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

All Righty ... What's on the bench today?

Not much to take pictures of, but I've been picking away at the F-16s (fuselages are now together) and the Mustang. The Mustang is in primer now (and it looks pretty decent) so I'll have to see if I can get some color on it this weekend.

What I was piddling with during the Google Meet yesterday. The blue on the HUD is too bright, so I ended up covering w/ a darker metallic blue last night.

Those are some nice looking F-16s Chris!

Usually, I am the one with my head down working on something during the meetings. Glad to see someone else doing the same thing.

I've never been a real big talker, so that combined with usually limited bench time meant an opportunity that I didn't want to waste.

Besides, when everyone starts talking modeling, I just want to pick up the knife & plastic.....I can't help myself.

I would have been working on something, but my shop is all packed up at the moment and can't do anything. Fixing to do a temp setup in the living room with a couple of the smaller tables if something doesn't break out this week on the floor situation.

I feel your pain Paul, I got a quote to get water and electricity out to the shed....going to be late sept before we have power.

I just want to speak up again about that AMK Mig 31 that I have been working on.I have not done a build log,sometimes those bog me down.
It is one of the best engineered kits I have ever built.Kit is detailed but everything slides and snaps together,most joints are on panel lines,small thing I appreciate is that sprue attachment points are very small and results in small cleanup, cockpit decals fit exactly.Very enjoyable.On par with Tamiya Tomcat,but more detailed.
It is a huge bird,but highly recommended

Today is new AC/Heat unit going in. The old one lasted 21 years or so I have been told. Hopefully this will knock my AC costs down a little in the summer.

AC replacement.JPG

So I've got a couple F-4s lined up after the F-16s. Well, I woke up this morning wondering if I could get the Hasegawa kit seats up to a level I'd be content with them, or if I should be looking for resin replacements. Seats are cheap, so I wasn't too concerned about it in the end...but hey if I've got the motivation to tinker who am I to stop it.

I think these will pass muster well enough for me.

Slow but sure I'm getting a little building in. I have a Stegosaurus and Triceratops for my Grand Daughter and a Panther on the bench at the moment. As the Triceratops had nothing to fill in the mouth and so you could see all the way to the tail I added one in miliput. Its hard to take a good pic but also made a tongue. All seams which are big in these old Tamiya kits are filled with home made melted sprue.

DSC09334.JPG
DSC09335.JPG
DSC09336.JPG
DSC09338.JPG
DSC09339.JPG
DSC09340.JPG
DSC09341.JPG

Machine guns drilled out and exhausts drilled out then an anti hand grenade bar in .05 plastic rod inserted. Fixed the mantle as it was molded wrong. Next up are tracks.
James

I have been experimenting with wheels again. this has become my burden i cant shake off.
DSC_2906.JPG
DSC_2954.JPG

My question is......the wheel on the left has taken me hours and has steel spokes of 0.5mm, the one on the right is a kit part and has 1mm plastic spokes. ( the spoke pattern is supposed to be different front to back on these M/C wheels). Am i wasting my time ? I almost want you to say yes :) I know if i did a dozen of these i could refine it and it would be better but i dont have a dozen.
I can see problems here, i wondered can you ? I should never have added the alloy tubes as spoke nipples but i cant see how to get them off now.

A thought came to me as I was looking at the one on the left. The alloy tubes isn't a bad idea, but I think what I would have done is to drill larger holes in the rim that the tubes would fit through, and then the spoke wire would go through that. Then they could be as long or short as you would like and the wire could be placed a bit easier. The wheel on the left does look better overall.

If you can't quite visualize what I am talking about I will make a drawing and post it.

Back