• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Albatross DVa toast

Albatross DVa garbage.

Final update. I robbed the center struts from my other kit and painted them last night. Today I installed them. Got everything together being super super careful. I almost worked. After holding the wings together about 5 minutes I thought the glue would be dry enough I could put a string loop on to continue holding the wings together. Left side done, right side to go. POP right side lets go. Carefully reinsert it and add a touch of crazy glue just for extra strength. POP left side lets go even with string loop on it. Get it back together and hold both wings again, but they dont feel right. You guessed it both center struts snapped at same point. Kit is now officially fit for the garbage and I'll never do another Albatross again. So have 1 kit for sale and one missing struts and extra decals if anyone is interested. Never had a problem with my Pfalz, my Roland or my Fokker DVIIs. Now I'm just stewing and dont even feel like building once again :java :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head
James

Albatross DVa

This is what I have right now. Maybe I'll just sit it on the shelf in the back so its not really visable to guests.

DSC03777.JPG

DSC03778.JPG

James

Albatross DVa

Things like that annoy me no end James.

what I would do is try to source some thin aluminium strips and scratch metal struts for that sucker.

Another way I would try is take those broken struts off, or use the other broken ones, get some metal guitar string same as I used for the Walrus engine mount struts, and make a groove on the inside of each strut, and Ca glue the metal string onto the struts.

also drill holes into the mounting points for the struts and leave a small overhang of the metal string on each end of the struts so you can Ca that into the mounting holes.

you might see it a bit, but it would give them the needed strength.

Those outer struts look very bent, there must be some forces at work there pushing and pulling each strut in some way

Albatross DVa

James, sorry you've run into this.

Someone has some aerodynamic pipe, can't remember where I saw it. You might want to try that stuff out or...Walk away. James go pick up a Tamiya kit and knock it out.

Albatross DVa

Hi James. Hate to see you have such a hard time with this otherwise beautiful Albatross.

I think jig like this would make these tasks more user friendly

JH4802_Wooden_stand_for_bi-planes_building___transport~0.jpg

I must admit though I would like to find one where the height for the wing adjustments had adjustable screws to work with. Still have not located a source myself.

Cheers, Christian B)

Albatross DVa

I had the wing together Chris but it snapped again. Dont know why. I dont think a jig would help in this case although it would help for other things. Thanks.
James

Albatross DVa

I had the wing together Chris but it snapped again. Dont know why. I dont think a jig would help in this case although it would help for other things. Thanks.
James

I figure if you place everything where it belongs you can find out where the problem is ans so, correct it before you try to assemble it.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back