• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix 1/12 Bentley blower FINISHED

Every car was hand made and the bodies were built by different coach makers Saul, hard to find 2 the same.

DSC_2268.JPG
DSC_2272.JPG

I don't have to clean up too much as there will be mesh over half of it and new straps over the old straps. I have left the fuel pipe junctions at this stage as i might reuse them.
Now i need to see how to fit the mesh and make it look realistic round the edges...

Well i have done my best, the mesh is 1mm brass woven and the straps are strips of coke can., quite a bit more to do but it really needs to be mounted on the chassis to go further and fit the pipes and tidy up the paint etc.

DSC_2279.JPG

Like a lot of models this is a collection of sub assemblies...., lets just hope they sort of marry together in the end, i sort of think it could look like a good rendition or it could look like a load of bits cobbled together, its 50/50 at this stage. :)

The Mercedes team at LeMans couldn't catch it to fire on it. The mesh on the tank was to stop sticky bombs and the tank itself was self-sealing. :)
That's awesome!! "Sticky Bombs"!! :lol: So what is the english translation of "Zimmerit" anyway?

A1 job Paddy! I agree with Mike, I'd say you nailed this!

I had trouble removing some chrome from a Tamiya kit last Spring. I had used oven cleaner but it took about 7-8 applications before it came off. Maybe it's just a matter of keep applying until it lifts?

This week i have been playing with the leaf springs, again nice mouldings, a few sink marks but hey....they are just black Springs :-l
That said they seem to have been bound with cord or string which may have been lighter colour but i am sure they turned black quite quickly

DSC_2292.JPG

I decided to had hangers ? shackles ? U bolts ? i dont know what they are called but i used brass tube as its quite easy toi bend, i also drilled out the larger bolts and added some real ones

DSC_2298.JPG

And painted them silver but maybe its a bit bright so may go over them a sort of darker grey, also added a lighter shading to the springs.

DSC_2302.JPG

I am almost ashamed to say i have bottled out of the wheels :)
Model making should be fun and frankly the thought of lacing up 5 wheels is not my idea of fun.
In fairness i do speak with some experience having done a few motorcycle wheels

DSC_5427.JPG

This was a pair of Triumph motorcycle wheels i did last year :)
Anyway this is all building up to my excuse for buying these ....

DSC_2260.JPG

These are 3D printed Bentley wheels for the Airfix Bentley made by a company in Ireland. Crucially the spokes on these are realistically thick unlike the kit wheels. Cost was slightly more that the whole kit from Airfix but i will gloss over this quickly :) Separating them from their construction frames will be fun as will painting them so the tire doesn't look like part of the rim ...
The biggest challenge will be mounting them as the maker has gone for an accurate copy of the original rather than making them to fit the kit parts......

Different sizes of brass tube, Robert's your Uncle. Fanny's your Aunt! There you have it! I learned to saw the print stubs off rather than snip them. Some of those details are really delicate. :good:

Back