• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adlertag!

bah!

decal fiasco!

displaying swastikas is forbidden by federal law here in germany so cautious kit manufacturers and importers either omit them, remove them or censor them! the only chance one has to get hold of them is to order them in a foreign country and hope that german customs doesn't inspect the shipment!

thanks to saúl i received two swastika decals - thanks again man! you da man! - and after having started to decorate birdie i became curious and wanted to see the swastikas on the vertical stabilizer!

a stomach feeling told me to use mr mark softer, even though i did so, i could watch the decal disintegrate at once! more and more cracks grew all over the decal and it would have been a very interesting slomo video if it wasn't a live experience!

nevertheless i tried my very best to apply it and the end result was really funky looking - unfortunately too much going into futurism than looking right!

very unhappy i removed the decal as good as possible - some remainings sticked to the model like tar pitch but whatever!

i then printed out several swastikas on transparent film to maybe make my own decals! printer cooperation was limited and the outcome miserable and unusable!

so i bit the bullet and cut the swastikas out, one larger for the white, one smaller for the black, masked the area and loaded two airbrushes to be able to interchange immediately!

first try came out crooked as crooked could be so i stripped that try and redid the masking!

second try came out a bit better but still crooked and completely unacceptable so i stripped that try and redid the masking!

third try i masked the area, reversed the order of colors (black, then white instead of white, then black) and placed the smaller stencil freehanded and this time i came as close as possible to a noncrooked and aligned swastika!

i'm still unhappy with the outcome but it's acceptable and i won't - read that carefully - i won't repeat that procedure a fourth time!

in the course of this neverending task i managed to snap away that thingy coming out of the fuselage - i presume it's something like a beacon! i could hear it snap, i could see it fly but i couldn't hear it landing and i couldn't see where it landed! since it happened right above the trash i'm afraid that it landed right in there! i searched the trash twice already and after this posting i will do it a third time!

brml!

Nocturnal Emissions - Never Give Up

swastikarhs.jpg

swastikalhs.jpg

g060.gif

I probably would stay with those, cause some washing will blend it in, but if you want to redo them, why don't you just cut out the white from a white decal and then mask this an spray the black on to the decal and then apply it. It should be easier to mask then. If you use enamel for the black it even should work with some decal settings.

Laura, I wish you told me as I would get another set. Anyway, those decals are from Techmod who I should have told you require very warm, almost hot, water to make the film flexible and not brittle. I am sorry, I truly forgot.
:unsure: :(

Anyway, your masking seems fine. I guess you want to fix the proportion of white to black. So, mask the swastika leaving the portion of white or black you want to over-paint. Or, as MLP states, use decals (I suggest cutting to strips instead for the white).

Regards,

hot water ... :S ... hmpf ...

no problem saúl! i'm really thankful for having provided me with them!

now for the sprayed on swastikas - they stay like they are, proportions wrong or not! i won't go through that again! no, no, no! i'm happy (although unhappy) to have managed them like they are!

Laura if you want I have the Montex mask for this kit. I can mail them today. I have decided to do a Mistel 2 so wont need them. PM me and they're yours.
James

that's a complex masking to pull off, I think you should be proud of what you got there Laura, a little touch up is always needed when masking stuff like that. I think you did a good job!

As Bob wrote, that is a VERY complex masking job to pull off without experience. Personally, you should be VERY, (OK I need to find a larger font), VERY proud of your own markings!

If you take the Badger on his offer, remember to follow the masking instructions to the letter as the vinyl masks can stretch and distort during application.

Regards,

Hi Laura,

That swastika looks great to me! In truth I'm getting scared with all the hardships you've gone through to build your Ju-88... :unsure:

But of course there's a bright side to all this and that is that, thanks to you, I know about these "problems" in advance and will be better prepared to face them. And for that I must thank you. :dude I don't know what will come out of my build, as the last time I built anything military was when I was 12 years old, but it certainly will be a better model than it would've been without you "clearing the path" for me... ;)

Cheers and thanks for sharing! B)
Fernao

I'm about to move into my new home - in fact, I've been trying to do that for the past three weeks :angry: , but most of the furniture (including the beds) has not been delivered yet and there are still other things to be finished on the house. All my modeling stuff is packed/boxed and I have nowhere to set up a building space, so that's why I haven't started yet... But I hope that in a coupla weeks things will be settled and I can get started on the Ju-88. With many pics, of course! ;)

You can be sure I'm anxious to start my build, Laura! :cheer:

Cheers! B)
Fernao

decals done! more than 100 decals, way more than 100! :S

some are crooked, some not! it's not repairable since i applied all of them with the help of mr mark setter and mr mark softer and they all are in place rock solid ... and sealed with two coats of gloss clearcoat anyway!

next will be washing what i will do in parallel with my berlin '45 panther (to bring that kitten to an end at last!)

Blutengel - Reich mir die Hand

(disclaimer: a) i really hate blutengel and chris in particular from the bottom of my heart but have to admit that this is a really good song! b) this is a typical goth style video - if you have a problem with blood, don't click - if you click, don't complain!!!)

decalsdone1.jpg

decalsdone2.jpg

decalsdone3.jpg

decalsdone4.jpg

decalsdone5.jpg

g060.gif

EDIT: little correction: next step will be touch ups and painting some details, not washing!

Looks very good!
What ya complaining about the number of decals :) it's 1:32 right? Well, do a F-4 in 1:32 and you'll have to do more than 200 :)

The crosses on the underside do look mighty fine - this was not that easy I guess.

saúl - it feels mighty fine to know that i can return to armor very soon!

The crosses on the underside do look mighty fine - this was not that easy I guess.

easier than expected and easier than the large decals on the fuselage sides with the code and balkenkreuz!

i took the smaller decals on the air brakes as guide and aligned the real balkenkreuze with them, then with the help of a toothpick pressed the crosses against the brakes and cut them with a sharp blade ... the rest is courtesy mr mark softer!

Doing great Laura...always kind of liked the looks of the 111's lines...I built the one with the V-1 underneath back when I first started up again and I look at it now and cringe (all the glue marks, lines from brush painting, etc...).

Back