• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Accurate Miniatures SBD-1

jeaton01

Just finished this one, somewhat of a test for me with all the fine details. I am amazed the gunner's 30 cal survived the building process. Very fragile, as were many of the cockpit parts. The bombs are practice bombs. All the SBD-1's went to the Marines, the Navy passed them off because among other things they did not have self sealing fuel tanks. They never saw any combat but hey, they did start out with a fancy paint job.

I see I have failed to paint the position lights, but here are the finished pictures. That vertical antenna wire gave me fits. I tried to use the USCHI thread but for some reason the CA glue refused to bond. After 8 or 9 tries I gave up and went to EZ Line and it worked OK. That part of Model Building was definitely NOT fun!

0201sbd.jpg

0211sbd.jpg

0221sbd.jpg

0231sbd.jpg

0241sbd.jpg

0251sbd.jpg

0261sbd.jpg

0271sbd.jpg

0281sbd.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, you rarely see a yellow wing SBD being built. I have had the same problem with super glue and the USCHI rigging line not bonding too well.

Nice! This kit was one of my first completed builds on this site. I think it was for a Pearl Harbor GB if memory serves correctly. Yours is a good bit tidier than mine. :Drinks:

Beautiful work. I loved Accurate Miniatures kits as they didnt need anything extra. I love the Yellow Winged birds of the inter war years, they always look so sharp.
James

Back