• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A pair of Academy P-38's for Tom

Red over a light base is the only way to go. I love the OD finish.

Bob, in reading a lot about painting natural metal finishes, a car modeler made the observation that for chrome use a metallic blue base, not black. His reasoning is that natural metal and chrome have a blue tint in the real world. To test this, I got a can of Tamiya metallic blue spray paint and base coated a plastic spoon then sprayed the Spazstix chrome in an aerosol can on top of that and buffed it out. It looked darn good.

Just an idea.

Thanks Kenny, might be something to try out. :D

Terry, I did that on mine, I'm just talking about the clean up, no matter how many times I clean the airbrush still seems like some light tint of red is coming out of it.

Get you some of these off Ebay Bob . Extra fine . That'll clean your nozzle out completely

paper_points.JPG

That's the other thing I don't like about red paint. Hard to get out of the AB. :(

Cheers, Christian B)

Is the red you are using acrylic? If so, I use a three part method after I get finished spraying. First, I shoot a paint cup full of window cleaner through the brush. Then, I'll shoot a cup full of 91% alcohol followed by a cup full of Createx airbrush cleaner. After that I will pull the needle and give it a good wipe down and let it sit out to let everything dry.

Ready for decals, after some post-shading which you can only make-out on the fins :facepalm You're going to have to trust me it's there on a lot of the other panels too !!

hed2d583.jpg

ha86df20.jpg

heff1098.jpg

More next week.

Ian.

(y)

Dull coat will make it pop.

I got a glossy black base on mine. Letting it cure before trying the AK Interactive Polished Aluminum.

After reading and watching some videos, I think they want it sprayed at a higher pressure. I'll crank it up some.

Cindy gave me a hall pass today. Since I'm going to be traveling for two of the next three weeks I got the chance to do a marathon session in the shop today. I haven't had one of those in a long time, my eyes started to give out on me.

The result?

h7e611fc.jpg

I'm thinking this is going to be my last NMF bird. Just too unforgiving on the finish. Alclad Polished Aluminum, I did some more testing with the AK stuff, just can't get it to perform as well. I did also test with Alclad a bit more, spraying at a higher pressure does seem to make it lay down better. It survived the tape test!

Judging from the less than optimal picture Bob it looks pretty good (y) (y)

Where you gong this time ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Cheers, Christian B)

Guess you missed the part about my eyes giving out. :facepalm

Heading back up to Plymouth IN next week (gotta send a heads up to Adam) and back to Cairo (you gotta go there on purpose) GA the week of the 6th. Light work but long travel. 6 hour drive down there. :frantic

It survived the tape test!

Horror of horrors if it didn't.Any idea on what you did different compared to previous times?
(Looks good,MP!)

Gr,Ron.

Sprayed at a higher pressure Ron. Think I got it dialed up to about 15-20psi, it floats around up that range. It doesn't have the reflective quality I got on the P47 but I'm not using the Chrome either, this was Polished Aluminum.

Also did some more testing with the AK line, their black base is good, think I'll pass on the other stuff.

Cheers, Christian B)

Heading back up to Plymouth IN next week (gotta send a heads up to Adam) and back to Cairo (you gotta go there on purpose) GA the week of the 6th. Light work but long travel. 6 hour drive down there. :frantic

Well no I did not miss it. Does whatever you are using not have auto focus ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Cheers, Christian B)

Plymouth, IN huh?! Business or pleasure?? Alot of my HOUGHTON lines are buried there & believe some still live there. B)

Back