• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A pair of Academy P-38's for Tom

Git'er done.

I got some panel lines cleaned up, found some more seams to fill. Waiting on Mr. Surfacer to do it's thing.

Yep it will happen, Bob, giving priority to the 'Tiger Tank' as it's part of a campaign, and the MGD Pontiac as it's almost done. Need to mask the stripes again and then I can start the pre-shading.

Ian.

I got color on it! Finally got the rough spots smoothed out enough and squirted red on her nose and one spinner. Can't remember which scheme I'm doing, the NMF one with no invasion stripes. Want to get this done to have a completion and get the bench cleared out. Might have it gloss black tomorrow. :zen

Some paint happened !!

h5b760b8.jpg

h9fb4089.jpg

h4e7152a.jpg

h8315e61.jpg

hbe8fa3e.jpg

h4fba99e.jpg

h596a58a.jpg

h82f30f3.jpg

(Very) much coffee was consumed during the masking/un-masking process !!

Ian.

:java :java :java :java :java

Shading looks great. (y)

Doncha just hate painting red? I've had to do it twice now on mine, just waiting for it to cure up enough to mask.

:popcorn

Shading looks great. (y)

Doncha just hate painting red? I've had to do it twice now on mine, just waiting for it to cure up enough to mask.

Interesting paint job (y) .

Yep, I hate painting red . A coat of a light color primer or white prior to the red works best for me .

But still hate it :smack

Cheers, Christian B)

So I sprayed AK Interactive EXTREME Black base, stuff is very thin, doesn't dry like enamel and stinks like lacquer. I went through half the bottle to get a deep black on the top side, still need to do the bottom. Think I'm going to switch up to Tamiya Black. I sprayed the Chrome on a prepped piece of scrap just to see how it looked, didn't look like chrome. I'll watch their videos closer and see what I'm doing wrong.

AK Interactive Black Base.
h1327c88.jpg

Like I said, took several layers to get this dark. Think I may have built up too much as I see some orange peal going on, will sand that out tonight.

Test shot on the gear doors
h0c97e4b.jpg

Seemed kinda odd that it showed this stone type effect you see in some of the decorative spray can stuff. Maybe I was laying it down too thick. :idonno

Will do more testing but I have to say on first shot, not every chrome like I've gotten with other products.

Red over a light base is the only way to go. I love the OD finish.

Bob, in reading a lot about painting natural metal finishes, a car modeler made the observation that for chrome use a metallic blue base, not black. His reasoning is that natural metal and chrome have a blue tint in the real world. To test this, I got a can of Tamiya metallic blue spray paint and base coated a plastic spoon then sprayed the Spazstix chrome in an aerosol can on top of that and buffed it out. It looked darn good.

Just an idea.

Shading looks great. (y)

If you want bright red then paint the area white first. Same goes for yellow or orange.

B)

Red over a light base is the only way to go. I love the OD finish.

Bob, in reading a lot about painting natural metal finishes, a car modeler made the observation that for chrome use a metallic blue base, not black. His reasoning is that natural metal and chrome have a blue tint in the real world. To test this, I got a can of Tamiya metallic blue spray paint and base coated a plastic spoon then sprayed the Spazstix chrome in an aerosol can on top of that and buffed it out. It looked darn good.

Just an idea.

Thanks Kenny, might be something to try out. :D

Terry, I did that on mine, I'm just talking about the clean up, no matter how many times I clean the airbrush still seems like some light tint of red is coming out of it.

Back