• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

31st FG, USAAF BF-109G DONE!

sharkman

Master at Arms
Didn't sign up for this build but thought it was a cool idea so I'm going to be foolish and jump in with this one. I figure I'll just do it OOB with some decals from the spares. Shouldn't be too hard of a build.

Here's the kit, Hasegawa's 1/48 BF-109F-4

This kit has a lot of sprues with extra parts, some of which I robbed for other builds, but the basic plane is still all there.

The one I am going to build I found on Wings Palette

All I know about it aside from the picture is that it was found by the 31st FG on a North African airfield in flyable condition and was used by them. It is a G model but fortunately, this kit has the sprue with the G model parts. :dance

Looks like it was painted all over in RLM 79 with US markings in 4 positions.

31st FG, USAAF BF-109G

Why not this one? Ventura has affordable decals for it as well. I may even have a spare set if you will tackle it. It is a Bf 109G-2/Trop:
After capture
hb2d88a7.jpg

Coat of paint over markings... it flew in these markings...
h1c02bd8.jpg

he267407.jpg

Abandoned. Note Squadron Codes were added... lack of spares grounded the aircraft and this (plus the following) were the last set of markings in which it flew).
h6a965cb.jpg

h9200706.jpg

Regards,

31st FG, USAAF BF-109G

They could fly without the canopy?

Kinda dumb question but it's already out there... :pilot

31st FG, USAAF BF-109G

Why not this one? Ventura has affordable decals for it as well. I may even have a spare set if you will tackle it. It is a Bf 109G-2/Trop:
After capture

Regards,

Thanks very much for the offer Saul, but I think I'll stick with this one even though I don't know much about it. I like the uniform colour and there's just something that doesn't look right to me about a 109 with no canopy, looks incomplete.

Who knows? maybe its' the same aircraft, just before they added the other markings??

;)

31st FG, USAAF BF-109G

The photos of it without a canopy are after abandonment. It flew complete. I have many more photos and I only posted one of every transition of the markings.

I've yet to see a photo of the one you posted but it is far easier to paint and therefore complete the build.

What made the aircraft I posted interesting to me (but I can see why you won't want to complicate your build) is that it was a recon bird:

Bf 109G-2/R2 'Black14' (WNr. 10605) of 2(H)./Aufklarungsgruppe 14, Zarzis, Tunisia 1943, was flown by Lt. Metz. His aircraft was shot down by Highland troops southwest of Zarzis on February 20th, 1943. Metz returned to his unit on foot after four days. 'Irmgard' was the name of the girlfriend of the ground crew chief, Unteroffizier Bopp.

'Irmgard' was repaired and flown by the USAAF 79th FG.

h4fac586.jpg

h20fab10.jpg

h7a5e8ea.jpg

hdeda24e.jpg

Some believe it was a Bf 109G-4 with these additional cameras:

IL2-IM-Bf-109G2Trop-2.(H)14-(B14+)-Libya-1942-V0A.jpg

Regards,

31st FG, USAAF BF-109G

Interesting history on that plane Saul. I have read that the allies (and the axis as well) used these captured planes as "hack" aircraft. Do you know exactly what that means? Did they use them in their own forces as part of the regular fighter groups (maybe due to a shortage of aircraft) or just for special missions?

31st FG, USAAF BF-109G

Moving along with this

Cockpit...just made the belts out of aluminum tape and some spare PE, then washed it, dry brushed and added some pastels

got the body and wing together to. This kit just falls together and the seams are fantastic! I can see now why this is a popular kit!

Back