• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

25 Years on - Gulf War I

Thank you for looking for me, unfortunately I've already checked that out.
Thanks anyway for your help.

Tim

This is an interesting campaign for me as I was sat in the back of a Warrior for it, I do have the Academy Warrior kit but man its going to need some work to look like the one I was in!

SSG Christopher J Chapman
160th SOAR
21 Feb 1991
Rest in peace my friend.
Always remembered, never forgotten!
NSDQ!!!

Tim

I've been eyeballing the French Jag that's in the stash.....

But I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle another Kinetic kit yet. :laugh:

The next build will likely be one of the 3:

1.) 1/72 VS-29 S-3B Viking (Torpedo Campaign)
2.) 1/48 French Sepcat Jaguar (Gulf War Anniversary Campaign)
3.) 1/48 VS-6 SBD-3 Dauntless (Pearl Harbor Anniversary Campaign)

Decisions, decisions. :hmmm

Well I went through this saw were I voted ... but no commitment to a build ... I have a F-117 in a bagged kit somewhere ... I believe the War started with these ... I'm thinking they were painted black .... but I could research a outfit ... :hmmm :idonno

I seem to recall the F-117s having first strikes on high priority defense/command targets to help open the airways for the non-stealth attacking flights. Tomahawk cruise missiles were also used in the initial barrage.

The F-117 wouldn't need radars knocked out...all that would do is warn the enemy of an impending attack. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if some of the F-117s targets were fixed radar sites to clear the way for the conventional aircraft that were to follow.

From the info I have found on the Net (And We know it must be true because it was on the Net) ... :rotf ...

At 2:51 am (Saudi time),January 17, 1991, Maj. Greg Feest, like in Panama, struck the first blow to start Operation DESERT STORM. Although he was actually behind the stealth force flying into Baghdad (Khamas Mushait was 650 miles due South of Baghdad), he was the first to bomb Iraq when he destroyed his first target-the center that controlled all of the air defense radars in the Baghdad area.

So that's what I've found ... I don't have a tail number yet ... or Nickname / nose art ... :pilot

h625a3b0.jpg

h0262234.jpg

I still have a pair of A-10's that's in progress. One will be the newer grey for my son in law. The green one is for me in Gulf War markings. Gary

Sorry to burst you guy's bubbles, but 4 AH-64 Apaches were led into Irag by USAF MH-53 Pave Low helos using their TF/TA radar up to a safe distance and then the Apaches engaged and destroyed several air defense targets thereby blinding Saddam's radar and opened up the corridor for US and coalition aircraft to engage their targets.
Believe me, US Army Aviation opened up Desert Storm and proud if it, Hoooah!!!.

Tim

I gotta back Tim on this, I remember well the news reporting that the Apaches Hellfires being the first to hit target.

Back