• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Messerschmitt Me 163 B-1a

Warren, the smell is not the Problem. The Aerosol particles are. Everything that is sprayed, airbrushed or vaporized kills me.

Ok, I thought that was what you had mentioned before. I would try a little Tamiya thinner for acrylics or a bit of water then!

Still looking for that document I had!

Hi Alex!

First of all, I am really impressed by the level of detail you get into these tiny models! You building is fantastic!

If I may offer a suggestion for your painting, I think I saw somewhere here that you are using Tamiya paints. Tamiya and Gunze paints are really designed to be airbrushed which makes brush painting with them difficult. It can be done and done well as many modelers have shown, I personally have always had issues.

I have been trying to slowly shift my paint supplies away from enamels in the last year or so, my wife doesn't appreciate the smell and there are the associated potential heath risks, so I have been experimenting quite a bit with different brands. I would recommend giving Lifecolor paints a try. They are a full on water based acrylic. They are non-toxic and don't have any obnoxious smell. They are very easy to brush paint and shrink a bit as they dry which helps keep them from gumming up tiny details. They also cover very well in a single coat and don't generally leave brush marks although I recommend a second coat for durability. Also they are easily thinned with plain old water. As alternatives Vellajo Acylics are pretty much made exclusively for brush painting (originally targeted at figure modelers) and the Ammo by Mig paints are very easy to use with a brush as well. Apparently Mr. Jimenez wanted them to work well with a brush or through an airbrush.

Hopefully this helps, it might be as easy as just switching up your preferred brand of paints. Don't get discouraged my friend, remember this is a hobby (as Christian keeps reminding me :woohoo: ) meant as a means of relaxing and should certainly not add stress to our lives. We get better with every kit we build, even if we aren't exactly happy with that particular end result. And like I said above, I love watching your builds because of all those tiny details that you cram into these 72nd scale kits, I am amazed an awed by it. Those are skills I will never process!

Keep at it my friend!
Mike

Hi Alex!

First of all, I am really impressed by the level of detail you get into these tiny models! You building is fantastic!

If I may offer a suggestion for your painting, I think I saw somewhere here that you are using Tamiya paints. Tamiya and Gunze paints are really designed to be airbrushed which makes brush painting with them difficult. It can be done and done well as many modelers have shown, I personally have always had issues.

I have been trying to slowly shift my paint supplies away from enamels in the last year or so, my wife doesn't appreciate the smell and there are the associated potential heath risks, so I have been experimenting quite a bit with different brands. I would recommend giving Lifecolor paints a try. They are a full on water based acrylic. They are non-toxic and don't have any obnoxious smell. They are very easy to brush paint and shrink a bit as they dry which helps keep them from gumming up tiny details. They also cover very well in a single coat and don't generally leave brush marks although I recommend a second coat for durability. Also they are easily thinned with plain old water. As alternatives Vellajo Acylics are pretty much made exclusively for brush painting (originally targeted at figure modelers) and the Ammo by Mig paints are very easy to use with a brush as well. Apparently Mr. Jimenez wanted them to work well with a brush or through an airbrush.

Hopefully this helps, it might be as easy as just switching up your preferred brand of paints. Don't get discouraged my friend, remember this is a hobby (as Christian keeps reminding me :woohoo: ) meant as a means of relaxing and should certainly not add stress to our lives. We get better with every kit we build, even if we aren't exactly happy with that particular end result. And like I said above, I love watching your builds because of all those tiny details that you cram into these 72nd scale kits, I am amazed an awed by it. Those are skills I will never process!

Keep at it my friend!
Mike

:rotf :rotf :rotf Just to add to Mike's thoughts......I never finish any model that I am 100 % satisfied with . Just don't make yourself crazy over it :hmmm Have fun .

Better models come with time and discovering new things . I fear that if I ever get to the point that there's nothing left to discover, I might loose interest .

I have a friend that builds figures and sci-fi . Usually of large proportions and his stuff is all hand brushed with Tamiya paints.
His modeling is first class, so don't think his paint jobs are bad . Quite the contrary :)
I just never tried to mix it with water, since I was told in the very beginning to use alcohol ( which did not work well by the way ) :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Hello all,

Thank you so much again dear friends. I cannot tell you how much your words and suggestions have helped me. So much that I could not wait to put them in practice and since I had two models which were sort of being assembled before the Me 163, I decided to try this new scheme of really diluting the paint.

IT WORKED!!!!

I will let you see for yourselves. They are not ready yet, and they had been "primed" with black and aluminum, so it is still a bit thick. But MUCH better.

I am using HATAKA acrylics now. They work out perfectly, I think even better than Mr Color or Lifecolor. I think I am going to stick to them.

These are the Pictures. When the models are done I will create a Topic for them. These are an Eduard Fw-190F-8 OOB and a Hobby Boss F-5E also OOB, with Aztec Decals from the Brazilian Air Force in the early 2000s.

Cheers

Alex

h4354bc9.JPG

h2a0ac63.JPG

h8c97b43.JPG

h7269977.JPG

hf466593.JPG

h75b238e.JPG

h9973f16.JPG

Hi again,

Since this Topic is about the Me-163 for the Campaign, I am starting over with an old Heller Kit. I will use some of the left over PE from Eduard from the other build, and since they belong to the same squadron, I think I will make a nice Diorama of them. Should be fun.

These are the Initial pics. I hope I can finish it before March 31st. Our chairman is on sick leave for many months now so as of yesterday I am officially the Chairman of the department of pediatric surgery at the University of Ulm. Big responsibility!

Cheers and wish me luck (both with the Job and the kit!)

Alex

h32d669f.JPG

h5858fd7.JPG

hf0b996f.JPG

h1c8d8f0.JPG

The F-5 looks a lot smoother than the Fw 190 .

Besides taking enough time, figuring out what works for you, is one of the most important things :good:

I have faith. You'll figure it out . Cheers, Christian B)

Massive improvement. :good:

Things certainly seem to be working for the better. And congrats on the new gig. Onward and upward! :drinks

Dear Alex.

I liked very much the work that was done on the Brazilian F5...it´s looking better than the others...great improvment :good:

Good lucky on the new Comet! :drinks

Luiz....Tudo de bom para voce e sorte no trabalho!

Ditto what everyone else said on the F5 Alex! (y)

Also you don't need to rush the second Me-163, you already did the badge, try a few things to make improvements, smoother seams, a bit more time getting the joins with a better fit. Try a bit different approach with your painting processes.

Congratulations on the promotion (and condolences on the extra work it entails) I am sure you will shine and do well. (y)

Congrats on the well-deserved promotion and well done on those other two models you did with the diluted paint. They do look far better. I just picked up a new product from Tamiya. It is a retarder for their paint that will allow you to brush paint it just like any other acrylic. I know you're switching to Hataka, but if you have any more Tamiya paint that you want to use up; I highly recommend getting this for that.

Keep plugging Alex and continue to practice your basics: seam filling and lineup, smooth joins, alignment of wings and such, and your painting. You are visibly improving with every model and will soon surpass my meager efforts. Rock on man! :ro:

Looking forward to seeing more.

These are the Initial pics. I hope I can finish it before March 31st. Our chairman is on sick leave for many months now so as of yesterday I am officially the Chairman of the department of pediatric surgery at the University of Ulm. Big responsibility!

Wow Alex, sorry I over looked this earlier, that's major!! Dr Alex we but humble servants... :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Hey guys

Thank you so very much for the Messages and confidence. This is a temporary gig, theoretically until the chairman Comes back, but since she is about to retire, this is an indication that the Position will become permanent. And in case I decide to venture into greener pastures (like Switzerland), this new entry on my CV will certainly give me a few more negotiating Points... ;) ;) ;) ;)

In any case, I am following all your suggestions and really having fun again. I can barely wait to get into the bench. I actually pulled an all-nighter there and almost got a divorce because of that. I am going to be trying a few things and when I think I am ready I will publish them here.

As you can see, I am also revamping this old Heller kit. There were NO Details, so I scavanged some PE that were left over from the previous Komet and got some more scratch-built items into the plane. I am paying a lot of Attention to seam lines, too much glue etc. Just like you all said!

This one will have the ski retracted and will be shown being carried back into the dispersal from a landing on the grass runway, while the other one will be getting readied for the next Mission.

Here some pics for you. So sorry I am not commenting on the other marvellous Projects in here (Luiz, Christian, Paul, Duke, Randy and many others) I simply am scrapping for time. :java

Hope you like it.

Cheers and talk to you soon,

Alex

hf0ffed7.JPG

h3135c4d.JPG

h2d9bcae.JPG

hd346215.JPG

h97f552b.JPG

h340d1eb.JPG

h6c5ba33.JPG

Oh very nice I have one of these heller kits knocking around here somewhere also but it wont look sooooo nice

Congratulations on your promotion Alex . Here's hoping it works out really well for you in the long scheme of things. :drinks

I really like the way this ME 163 is heading . Glad to see you heading in the right direction :good:

Fine work this far (y) (y) (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Back