• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Lakenheath Black Widow (WHIF)

helios

(WHIF) USAF F-23 Black Widow - 492nd FS, RAF Lakenheath

Kit: 1/72 Dragon YF-23 (#2507)
Paints: Testors Model Master/Tamiya
Decals: Eagle Strike Productions - Kosovo Eagles (72021)
AM: Hasegawa F-16 bang seat (kit was missing piece)

Quickie build over the weekend. 2-12 hour timeslots Sat/Sun. I did have to improvise on the ejection seat, as it was missing in the kit. An extra seat out of a Hasegawa F-16CJ was appropriated. I also had to add the axles for the MLG, as they were short shots. Despite the low parts count, I still ran out of time to do any sort of weathering...so the finish is nothing fancy. I did notice one of the MLG doors are out of alignment when I was taking pics this afternoon...I'll need to address that at some point.

Last edited:
Sweet!

I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall (7 miles down the road) and the first thing we learned was that Lakenheath was a terrible place (It proved to be unfriendly territory). Still the kit is sweet!

"I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall (7 miles down the road) "

Best weekends were the Mildenhall shows at the end of May - I went as an exhibitor and as a spectator through the 80's and into the early 90's. Always stayed on the RAF base at Honington or down in Bury St. Edmonds.

Ian.

Ian,

Mildenhall was the best assignment in my 32 years in uniform. The area was perfect for a history geek.

Back