• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 AH-1G Cobra - "Pandora's Box"

helios

Well-known member
I wasn't going to create a post for this one, but the hell with it. :D It was just intended as a quick long holiday weekend side project. Almost finished now, at the decaling stage.

Started on Thursday.


Minimal hassles meant it was largely assembled in the first day.


Tinted canopies.
 

helios

Well-known member
Primer.


First color attempt.


The longer I sat there looking at it, it felt too light and too brown/drab. So I ended up adding a bit more green to the mix. Subtle change, but much happier w/ the color now.
 

helios

Well-known member
Thin decals are such a double edge sword...get them right and they are bliss. Botch it and tear them and they turn into a nightmare. Unfortunately I ended up tearing one of the "Pandoras Box" ones. Tried to piece back together as well as I could...but it's still pretty hacked. This has really been the only setback all project. It is what it is, and we'll push on. I'm hoping to have the rest of the decals finished today/tonight then let dry for 24 hours before hitting with topcoats.
 

helios

Well-known member
Made a command decision. After destroying one of the serial number decals, I'll be ordering a new kit tonight for the 2 replacement decals. The kit comes with 5 different schemes (4 aircraft) so I'll still be able to build up another one in a different scheme & loadout (& skids!) w/o resorting to additional aftermarket decals.

Offending decal has already been removed and paint touchup is underway.
 

sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
Chris, very warm water is the key to these Eastern European decals. You are correct about the aggressive glue used.

Regards,
 

centaur567

Well-known member
3_7.jpg026.jpg

Great job!! Testors OD green is pretty close to the right color and sometimes the tail boom was a different shade. The paint to that step got scratched up pretty good. The teeth on our cobra's always had "cavities" in that area. Don't forget to tint the canopy blue and the rotor head was painted lt. gray. Although, I just saw in my collection of cobras, the art work of Pandora's Box is dated 1972. In the summer of '71 , we started seeing cobras with clear canopies and painted a darker green. Since this is a 20mm ship, a clear canopy could be possible. Always good to see another cobra. Only wish a 1/48th scale version would appear. The picture of "Ohio Express" 67-15820 shows the color of the rotorhead. Looks like the guys are going to retorque the Jesus nut. 600 ft./lbs. One guy would hold the torque wrench and the other guy would lay down on the blade and push the wrench with his legs. Gary S. XLV MMXX
 

helios

Well-known member
Pandora's Box actually threw me for a loop in the instructions until I figured out how they laid it out. There are actually 2 versions included, and early and late. Early version has the decal variation I've got on mine which I worked myself into a corner by installing the early non-fairing skids. I was originally planning on the version you posted above, but once I understood the instructions I realized I had to modify my plan slightly. :smack:
 
Top