• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Scale Bf-109G-6

Hi guys! Sorry it's been so long since my last post. I've been chugging away on my mig-21 trying to get it finished for my local club's March in house contest. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to make it, but realistically I might have a shot with my -109 so I'm back.

Ian and Matrixone - your probably right, just a bad sheet. I have lots of Eagle Editions decals so I'm not going to give up on them.

Smurff and Luiz - thanks for following along.

Now I need to ask for some help. This is my first black aircraft. I have been experimenting with some different colored washes on my paint hog, but nothing has looked right. Has anyone had success with weathering black aircraft and might share some suggestions? Here is what it looks like right now. I appreciate the help!

Post75_zps81604a96.jpg

Thanks again!
Mike

I can't believe I missed this one! Excellent work on the same kit (and accessories) I have in my stash... wait a minute, have you been in my stash?

(y)

Regards,

Hi guys! Sorry it's been so long since my last post. I've been chugging away on my mig-21 trying to get it finished for my local club's March in house contest. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to make it, but realistically I might have a shot with my -109 so I'm back.

Ian and Matrixone - your probably right, just a bad sheet. I have lots of Eagle Editions decals so I'm not going to give up on them.

Smurff and Luiz - thanks for following along.

Now I need to ask for some help. This is my first black aircraft. I have been experimenting with some different colored washes on my paint hog, but nothing has looked right. Has anyone had success with weathering black aircraft and might share some suggestions? Here is what it looks like right now. I appreciate the help!

Post75_zps81604a96.jpg

Thanks again!
Mike

Use a light grey for panel wash, not sure what to lighten the black with, I'd be asking also but my gut tells me Buff.

Mike,
I used some EagleCals on one of my 1/48 Bf 109's and one of the under wing crosses did not want to snug down like it should but the other one did. :idonno Very strange! To be fair these were some older decals that I have had for a while in my spares box and wanted to use them so I could avoid having to cut up a newer decal sheet.
But of the many times I have used EagleCals in the past they were near perfect and so easy to work with I will continue to use them.

Matrixone

Short update tonight folks. I missed my goal of getting this done for my club contest, but as a wise modeler once said – “don’t rush the ending”. I took that advice. I got the wash down on the top and the bottom. This dirtied up the airframe quite a bit. I used the MIG dark wash for the top and 502 Abteilung Faded Grey Oil paint for the bottom. I followed this up with a coat of MM Lacquer Flat. Thanks for the advice MP, I really like how the bottom turned out. Funny thing - after I finished the wash on the bottom I thought I remembered one of our masters did a build with a similar color scheme. Oh yeah! Chuck’s Me-410! Totally forgot all about it.

Post81_zps525b209a.jpg

Post82_zps2929c222.jpg

After that I ran into a small problem. When I removed the masking from the cockpit, the tape took the grab handles from the windscreen and the gun sight! I put the sight back in, but I’m not going to wrestle with those tiny handles.

Once I got over that hurdle, I started working on the little details. Sorry forgot to take any pics, but here’s what I did so far; exhaust staining sprayed on using Xtracolor exhaust, main landing gear legs are attached as is the tail wheel. The exhausts have been added and so have the machine guns over the engine cowl. Both are Quickboost resin items. Here is where we stand as of today.

Post83_zps100e2d56.jpg

Just a few fiddly bits to go. Should have her done in a couple of days. Remember – don’t rush the finish!

Thanks for watching!
Mike

Hey Mike, glad it worked out for you, blend in the brush strokes a bit more on the bottom side and you' got it! (y)

Thanks Dave, MP and Raiderfan. I'm glad you like it.

I spent a little time getting some of the small bits on tonight. Just a few quick steps to go and I should be able to call it done. Had a quick question, I often see models of -109s with a prop rod for the open canopy, but I can't say I've seen them on reference photos. Was this something installed during maintenance or what? I guess really my question is - should I have one hold my canopy open?

Thanks for the help.
Mike

Hi guys! Here is the update for today, almost there.

I removed the masking from the clear parts and found a problem. :vmad I have a giant scratch on the side window! No idea where that came from, the tape wasn’t ripped or anything. Its pretty deep to, not something I think I can buff out. :bang head

Post91_zps63715e48.jpg

I’m going to just leave that be for now and move onto the remaining parts. I started with the main landing gear. I painted up the wheels, which are from Ultracast, using Gunze Tire Black dry brushed with Vallejo light rubber and then sprayed the hubs in Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black. The gear doors had been finished when I did the fuselage. Once dry, they were installed.

Post92_zps396d6602.jpg

Next step was finishing the cockpit. I installed the armor from the Aires cockpit. It uses tiny photo-etch assemblies to hold it in place. It was a nightmare but I finally got it worked out and installed. My replacement control stick was painted and installed and finally the photo-etch shoulder harnesses. Those were bent into shape, painted Tamiya Buff and then installed. Then the canopy was installed in the open position.

Post93_zps1ba3308f.jpg

Next I used EZ-Line from Bob’s Hobby House for the antenna wire. Don’t worry; I trimmed that little bit after I saw this picture.

Post94_zps93e54c60.jpg

The propeller, remember I used the eagle editions propeller hub with Quickboost corrected blades, was painted in RLM70, then given a wash with Florey Models Black Wash followed with a MM Lacquer Flat coat. I have been struggling to get the Flory wash to work for me and on this prop, it just did. I’m pleased with the result. I painted the blast tube in Tamiya Flat Aluminum. Then it was installed. I opened up the mounting hole in the front of the fuselage so I could properly align the propeller.

Post95_zps3b667fd2.jpg

After that the 20mm cannons (Quickboost) were added. I gave all the guns a rub with some graphite powder, but I didn’t really get the effect I was looking for. After they were installed I use Mig pigments on the gun troughs, the propeller hub and the exhausts. I think it turned out pretty well.

Post96_zps9bdcc0d5.jpg

Post97_zpsfbce252d.jpg

Well I am almost done. Just the drop tank left to go. Hopefully I’ll have it painted up and finished in the next couple of days!

Thanks to everyone for watching.
Mike

Not easy, I appreciate, but if you can leave the scratched canopy issue to one side, what you have there is a very dramatic looking 109... don't think I've ever seen that one built-up before... Excellent choice and great wee model.

Ian

I'm diggin' it. Try some white glue to fill in that cut on the windscreen, if it's not too deep.

1/48 Scale Bf-109G-6 - **DONE**

Hey everyone. Final post! :yipee I just want to thank everyone that provided all the encouragement and the help along the way. I really appreciated it.

So first off finished the drop tank. It was painted MM Flat Black, then the nose section was painted Tamiya gloss black followed by the RLM76 from Lifecolor. The tank was painted following the references for this aircraft. No Idea why the different paints. But I’m cool with it.

Post101_zps9fa972ea.jpg

And then the tank is installed, finishing the build!

Post102_zps503495f5.jpg

Post103_zps4a11b4a8.jpg

And here are a few glamour shots.

Post104_zps59876143.jpg

Post105_zpsb1f7f982.jpg

Post106_zps49a55b39.jpg

And the family photo with my Hase Bf-109G-10 I finished a couple years ago.

Post107_zps2b928279.jpg

It was a fun build and I’m happy I finally finished another campaign! Thanks for watching!
Mike

Mike,
Your model turned out fantastic! I think this is the first time I have seen anybody build a 109 in these markings before and its nice to see something different. If I see anymore models built of Hartmann's or Galland's 109's or the JV 44 Dora's it will be too soon. :lol:

Matrixone

Mike,
Your model turned out fantastic! I think this is the first time I have seen anybody build a 109 in these markings before and its nice to see something different.

Mentioned the same thing, Les, but what I forgot to add, is the best part about this build (IMO) is it's 'refreshing' - Hope Mike's work starts folks down the road of looking for 'different' schemes for their 109's.

If I see anymore models built of Hartmann's or Galland's 109's or the JV 44 Dora's it will be too soon. :lol:

Matrixone

Maybe we should start a thread elsewhere (with appropriate warnings, etc) for 'Modelling Cliche's that we just see too many of...'

Sorry, Mike, you can have your thread back now :blush:

Ian

No worries Ian. I do agree with you guys. I tend to always use aftermarket decals just to have different markings then everyone else. I will admit though -I'm planning to build at least two of the JV44 Doras :evil: well if I can ever get an Eduard 190 finished! :blush:

Speaking of unique markings, does any one know of some aftermarket decals to do mainly28's all RLM76 bf-109? I really like how it looks!

Thanks again guys! Appreciate all the kind comments!
Mike

Back