• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Revell EA-6A Prowler...

Okay this will sound picky, but the ven or variable exhaust nozzle "flaps" cant be referred to as vanes. Those would be the intermediary stages between the compressor blades and those are called inlet guide vanes which can be variable or static. As for engines the F-14D used General Electric F110-GE-400 and the F-4E used General Electric J79-GE-17A and the EA 6B the Pratt & Whitney J52-P408A. Different marks used different engines.

Now vens are mad up of 2 sets of flaps, the iner and the outer and the F-15 where I first heard them called turkey feathers had the outers removed, forget why. But all the engine guys I know and worked with just called vens, vens.
James

OK, here's what I think I know James. Referring to the F-15 outer part cover outer portion of the Nozzles ( Covers if you will ) were referred to as Turkey feathers by the crew chief as well as the pilots . Those flew off the airplanes and due to their high price and apparently no purpose except to make the jet look pretty they took them all off.

I believe that vens is an acronym for variable engine nozzles if memory serves me right.

Cheers, Christian B) That do you ?

Where's the propeller???? :unsure:

:silly:

At the front end of the jamming pods according to Revell...but I don't think I'll be putting too much on the underside...keeping it clean as it seems to be more of an exhibition piece than one for actual use??

I have no clue what you guys are talking about. All I know, if I serve a Turkey I at least take off all fathers ....

But nevertheless . good progress on your bird here :)

Well-- not sure about turkey except that I'll be eating one in less than a week!

Chuk-- did you mean the engines?? Everything is as it should be afaik...

Speaking of which-- got the scheme pretty much done-- not sure if the Vallejo Model Air Blue Grey is the best match...but since this is supposed to be honoring a Coral Sea scheme, I think it is pretty close. Love the half blue grey under the wing...
006%7E2.jpg

And here is the scheme as it stands now--
009%7E0.jpg

Just dipped the canopy pieces in food coloring tinted Future...depending on how it looks, I may do another dip or two...and then its time to start the many many decals...

I want the station wagon in 1/48 but cash is tight right now- the local has the 1/72 hasegawa kit though, may have to compromise... I built one of these in the mid 80's, It may be the same kit, decal sheet was the size of a placemat! have fun...

Thanks guys!

Been decaling a bit...these Fightertown decals are real nice...but there are so many, I am having trouble deciphering which ones are for which plane! Might go through the kit ones as well to get the right placement of the stencils. I also soaked the canopies in Windex to get the tinted Future riddled with bubbles out...will try the tips you guys gave me and give it another go...
012.jpg

010%7E0.jpg

From the original photo, the flaps and leading edges were painted red to mimic the dive brakes from a WWII bird...I couldn't find any AM stuff and the kit doesn't feature them, so I decided to paint the air brake interiors and the access stairs red instead...may not be 100% accurate, but it does throw in some nice color!

It looks real good!

Paragon Designs made a set of slats and flaps for this kit:
PAR48094.jpg

They are hard to find. Some have tried the Wolfpack set but these are made for the Kinetic Models EA-6 and also suffer from poor quality control (shrinkage and warping).

Regards,

Not sure how I missed this (too many forums too little time) but this is looking great, nice job !

Back