• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Revell EA-6A Prowler...

Jeeves

Building this up for the Navy/Marine Corps build over at SMA...doing it up with the awesome Centennial of Naval Aviation scheme that mirros a Coral Sea carrier scheme...I know I know-- the decal scheme is for the B and not the A, but I already bought the decals and don't usually build jets-- so screw it ;)

Here's what I am attempting--
6b55c0af.jpg

With this...
1860533e.jpg

And some progress shots...
003.jpg

004.jpg

And after careful gluing to avoid bad gaps-- I have a lip on the one side to sand down...
001.jpg

And some custom mixed craft paint gives me good enough detail on my panel screens...
002.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Hi Jeeves, very start on this Prowler :) I didn't even know the Navy had used the A model for an ECM bird. Learn new things all the time. :popcorn

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys!!

Saul-- I should be thanking you as it was your thread a while back that set the desire for this in motion ;)

I know the eject handles should be yellow and black...just need to get the hands steady enough to try it ;) Hope this ends up as well as I hope ;)

Saul-- I should be thanking you as it was your thread a while back that set the desire for this in motion ;)

I know the eject handles should be yellow and black...just need to get the hands steady enough to try it

Mike, I do recall the thread and the questions you asked leading to the decal purchase.

Now here is a tip for those ejection seat handles. In the past, I have used strips of tape wound around and then a marker to paint the black. They come out OK but it was much better when I bought Microscale's stripe decals:

This is their narrowest at 1/64th of an inch (PS-2-1-64). Actually, they have some for HO scale which are narrower but I bought these in black and red for walkways (the red for US night fighters like the P-70, P-61, and so on).

Regards,

Thanks Saul...I might try my hand at them before I close things up.

So far though, I have the wings and stabs on and thanks to Tenax, very little seam issues...
002%7E0.jpg

Although now that I look, a touch of Tenax ought to fix that wing intake well enough ;)
001%7E0.jpg

Yup...that's the intake I mentioned in my post...a dab of Tenax and a clothespin ought to take care of that!

I don't know why I've had such a time reading all the post lately..oh yeah, Killer pictures!

:popcorn

Carry on Mike. :mpup

Well...after getting the rest of the seam work done and some experimenting with some insignia red (considering the original photo has the leading edge slats and flaps this red color-- but there is no way to recreate that here...nothing available in AM...I looked!)-- I am thinking of painting the speed brake area red and possibly some other places...we'll see!

One thing is fer damn sure-- I should've added some weight to the front of this sucker!! Might be able to add some lead shot under the cowling yet...we'll see...
005%7E2.jpg

004%7E1.jpg

Maybe I'll make a base and glue her down that way...

Thanks Dusan!!

Yeah...this decal set is pretty sweet! I'll only be using the EA-6A decals so if anyone has a use for the others, speak now ;)

Thank you for your offer Mike :drinks

I will try to remain calm, and not to order F-18 1/48th scale kit right now :gogo :gogo (I have a few in 72 scale, Hasegawa and Fujimi).

All the best!!! :)
Dusan.

My friend,

I looked and it appear that I do not have any f-14's
anymore. but..... I do have a quarter scale Hasagowa f-4
phantom engine feathers, that I can send you.

Sorry, for the delay.

Send me a PM with your address.......... and I will send the parts.

Later,
Mike

Thanks guys!

Hi Mike...

Were you referring to me in mentioning the engine feathers?? I'm a little confused...is the Phantom feathers the same as the A-6? What are engine feathers to begin with? ;). I am nearly at the point for painting so am pretty good to go, but thanks for your generous offer!

I"m with you Mike (Big Daddy Mike). MikeC, the Prowler didn't have afterburners if memory serves. I'm pretty sure it's not even the same engine in the Prower as the F14 or the F4, neither of which had the same engine.

Mike Feathers or Turkey Feathers are the vanes that expand and contract on the afterburner. Officially known as Exhaust Nozzle Flaps.

Back