• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Accurate Miniatures Il-2

Jeeves

I have been enjoying seeing the larger scale Sturmoviks and had started this one up in the last few weeks before I had joined TnT. I have always enjoyed the AM kits-- having built many SBDs and an Avenger or two. This is a nice change doing some Soviet aircraft. Haven't made a lot of progress-- only pics so far are of the "office". Hoping to get all the major components together soon so I can start up painting...
005-2.jpg

004-3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I like the Sturmovick and the AM ones are very nice. Looking forward to seeing this. Learstang is a wealth of info if you need some refs. He's writing a book about them and has done a lot of research.
James

Thanks for the comments guys... I must admit that it has been busy here with the kids soccer seasons ending and the fact that in giving so much homework and labwork to my students, I now have to grade it all. Phooey! Hope to post more progress soon... once I have some ;)

Some progress of sorts...and as you can see from the right wing root, I had some fit issues...
nov7-10_006_2_20101107_1554047739.jpg

nov7-10_008_3_20101107_1132561560.jpg

Hi Jeeves, I see you're moving foreward with this build. I have an IL-2 myself that has been sitting ih the hanger awaiting a shipment of patience.
I believe you have just inspired me.
It's looking pretty good but it reminds me of my own. "All IL-2's require swome wrestling" :(
Cheers, Christian

Wowza it has been a while! Well-- I got stalled on all the canopy masking (as I usually do!)-- but ended up finishing the painting for the most part...still some touch-ups to do. I am trying to get this one out of the way to make way for the Cromwell and the rest of this years' GBs that I am thinking of joining...

1-30-11_152.jpg

1-30-11_153.jpg

Once everything cures, it is off to the Future coat and then decals!

Hey, nice progress (and at my speed no less!).

Which markings are you aiming for?

Regards,

The only markings that came with the AM kit were ones for Leningrad so I am going with those...

Looking good. Watching with interest...you never know, this might cause me to attack mine again.
James

OK-- I am calling this one complete! So this was an interesting kit to build...it had its fit issues (probably more to user error)-- but with copious amounts of putty, she seemed to settle down OK. I replaced the kit cannon barrels with tubing and drilled out the exhaust stubs...but everything else is standard...this was the kit scheme of a Leningrad Sturmovik. I also tried my hand at dot filtering with some oils and hopefully nailed it OK.
2-22-11_002.jpg

2-22-11_001.jpg

2-22-11_003.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Looking very nice. Wants me to dig out the Eduard 1/72 bird I have somewhere in my stash and give it a try.

Joe

Thanks James and Joe...other that the right wing root I am happy with it ;). I do take comfort in the fact that in Russian Air Museum pics, the skin does take on a similar look to it...the Russians sort of discarded beauty for durability and effectiveness at times ;)

Back