• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hasegawa 1/48 A6M3 Type 32

jeaton01

Started this one yesterday, it will be the third 1/48 Hasegawa Zero I have done so far. All going well. Here is the current progress.

0017a6m.jpg

0077a6m.jpg

0087a6m.jpg

Hi John
I will start mine soon so this is very interesting. I ordered some MRP Aotake Blue Primer and some MRP Nakajima Cockpit Color (Aged) today
The cockpit colour for the 21 appears to be a sort of sand beige colour.

this really intresting

John, I was quite surprised at the zinc chromate color on the Japanese cockpit parts as I thought they were a blue/green color.

It depends on the airplane, Pau;. Mitsubishi used a color like ZCG, but the Gunze paint I used is labeled Mitsubishi cockpit green. Nakajima built Zeros used a different green, and Kawanishi yet another. (According to my "research"). Anyway, I have all those in stock.

Paddy, I seem to remember that the RAF interior green color is similar to the Nakajima Zeros.

Its a minefield John, the more i dig the more i think its a matter of what you are happy with because it would be very difficult for anyone to say categorically "that's not right"
I can imagine if all the different companies that built Spitfires had used different colours coupled with poor quality paints prone to fade and discolour with sun/oil/heat/ that too would be a nightmare for the model builder 80 years later :) I mean there are still arguments about what colour "Sky" was here and don't ever mention "Duck egg blue" on the underside of RAF fighters or you will be drummed off all forums...

Ask me how i know :)

Current state of play. I put the dark green on as a dense mottle, since I think the top color was field applied. Hope to replicate an uneven coat of paint and fading. Markings painted on.

0127a6m.jpg

0137a6m.jpg

This one is operational in the display case. A Tamiya A6M3 Type 22 will likely be the next Zero to hit the Bench. Working up through to the A6M8 version eventually. I'm going to skip the A6M4 since there is so much doubt it ever had air beneath its wheels.

0147a6m.jpg

0157a6m.jpg

0167a6m.jpg

0177a6m.jpg

0187a6m.jpg

0197a6m.jpg

0207a6m.jpg

0217a6m.jpg

And with its bench brother, the Hasegawa P-47D-25:
0227a6m.jpg

Back