• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

U-218 TYPE 7D - A unique survivor in 1945.

U-218 1945
u218a.JPG
I thought I would highlight some unique details associated with U-218, the only surviving Type 7D to make it to surrender in 1945. As a model builder this is a very interesting subject to build via modifying the 1/72 Revell Kit AND IS ON MY BUILD LIST.
U218web.jpg

1941 - IN ITS ORIGINAL FORM.
U-218 in Kiel harborWEB.jpg

U218 earlyweb.jpg

IMG_5209copy.jpgtechdwg.JPG
1943 - with Turm 3 tower
U218detail.JPG

U218web.jpgU868(b).jpg
U218 .jpg

So, what makes U-218 really interesting?

It's in how it changed as the war went on and surviving until the end of the war with all of the mods that were applied over 4 years. Because she was built and launched in 1941, this meant that it was built with the early style slotted pattern deck, with an early design tower that would then be changed.
By the time of her surrender in May '45, the boat had been fitted with all the late mods applied to this early design U-boat, which was rare in 1945 - a unique collection of mods on and early boat. The boat number painted on the tower was part of the surrender requirements, most probably applied while at Bergen, Norway or possibly at Loch Ryan in Scotland.
  • slotted deck design with snorkel in the deck and external pipe (around the left of the tower).
  • Late model Turm 4 tower ( 2 tear gun platform design replacing early single gun platform) built /fitted over the top of half the external Mine storage cabinets along the spine of the rear deck.
  • Armoured panels fitted to the external, upper forward tower
  • Late model Askania compass housing replacing the original longer housing design attached to the tower at deck level.
  • 4 x external Life boat containers fitted to the forward deck.
  • Early model built with a standard bow (not the wider Atlantic bow).
  • Retained old style long deck gun railings
  • deck gun removed and a hatch put in its place.
  • unusual striped camouflage
    u218_late1jpg.jpg
    u218_late2.jpg
    218 front.jpg

THE MODEL STUFF
This 'Bad Boy will be created using a combo of the early 7C hull and the late 7C/41 tower matched with the RC SUBS brass deck and their 3D printed hull exstension and mine cabinets. All the shots below are from their website and not my model in progess (thats later).
BOXES.jpg

RC SUBS aftermarket conversion sets to be used

Screenshot 2022-12-14 234605.jpgScreenshot 2022-12-14 234700.jpgScreenshot 2022-12-14 234736.jpgVIID-01.jpgVII505.jpgP4230582.jpgP4230578.jpgScreenshot 2022-12-14 234505.jpg
STAY TUNED AS THIS WILL BE AN EARLY BUILD ON THE LIST, HOPEFULLY THIS YEAR!

Back