• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpy F4F-3 1/32 build

I think i mentioned earlier about the limitations of PE being 2d.
I have been playing around to night with ammo boxes, one with cut round brass rod and one with the PE supplied....
ammo.jpg

Its not finished yet but i think we can do better than plain PE :)

ammo.jpg

Its not finished yet but i think we can do better than plain PE :)

It is pretty obvious. By the way, there are several companies producing 50 Cal rounds in 1/35th scale plus an older company producing a lost was casting of a belt of 50 Cal (I think it was Cal Scale).

Regards,

Much better than the flat stuff but just short, if there were a way to taper the end...well there is but WOW talk about tedious!

Much better though Paddy, I didn't even look at the ammo on mine because of this.

Saul, Lion Roar had some 1:35 .50 rounds for that Halftrack I did a while back, again tedious linkage stopped me from tackling it. But we're in 1:32 here, wonder if they would pass for .30 rounds?

TBH i dont think anyone would notice the tapper, it just looks obvious because of the size of the picture. I have to say i'm not keen on buying my way out of problems, I know you can buy M/G rounds but that sort of spoils the fun a bit :). I could buy resin cockpits and resin wheels with bulged tires and maybe a new engine but where do you stop once you go down that road ? Even the PE here is an extravagance that i would not do again because i dont think its up to much and given time i recon i could scratch build most of it better TBH.
To me the challenge/fun is making the best of whats in the box with most kits, thats why most of my OTB models fall short of other peoples but then i dont ever enter competitions :) I build for fun.
I always find it interesting to hear what others look for in a finished model or what they get from building ? I know some people who stick things together as fast as poss because they only really want to paint....others who never really finish a model because they get bored half way through and hate the painting at the end. Some like me love the research as well :) I knew one guy who only built biplanes because he loved rigging !!! thank god were all diferent of wouldnt it be boring :laugh:

You're not falling short that's for sure. and you're right, once it's in the wing it would be hard to tell the taper.

So... :popcorn

What he said! (y)

Go Paddy, Go Paddy :drinks

I agree with Paddy; I will never enter a contest either. I judged at this year's show and realized that the contest road is a slippery slope. I will buy the occasional seat, PE seatbelts, maybe an engine (if it is THAT bad) and decals (gotta love decals). I know of folks who spend $100s on AM. That's fine; for them. I'll just soldier on... :soldier

I build because it is enjoyable and it allows me to relax and get my mind off of the ugly things... ex-wives... income taxes, bad beer...

This is looking great, I agree with the others and don't think anyone would ever notice the taper.

Matrixone

Totally agree with Barney except for the ex wives and bad beer. Not worth wasting the brain cells !

Looking good Paddy .

Cheers, Christian B)

I had planned to go for an authentic colour here but there doesn't seem to be a definite..so its open to interpretation from B/W photos and personal descriptions.No one seems to really agree. :( Its experiment time :)

So thats my excuse for this mix of light sea grey and deck tan to give a sand /desert hue to the whole thing with a nod towards RAF Stone and Grumman Grey. I used matt black pre shade Deck tan with 20% sea grey and then some white added to high light some areas. It looks better than the pictures show and when its finished i will take some proper photo's in more natural light. I have left the supercharger area/gun bay and inside the flaps in light sea grey undercoat........sort of :)

Martletpaint1.jpg

Greetings Paddy;

..... May-haps be....... you could us rounds like these. In 1/35 they are
37mm. In 1/32 they may be about the right size.

Nice aircraft, she is come out great........ :mpup

... :pilot ...,
Mike

Looks fine to me Paddy, here's what you do, take the pictures in grey scale and you'll be spot on! :drinks

You can't help to think that somewhere out there in the vast Sahara there's an old Wildcat stuck in the sand dune just waiting for someone to find and say..hey, they were OD!? :woohoo:

I had a couple of cousins in the MTO. They used to joke about what the sun would do to paint... khaki would turn pink... OD would fade grey... grey or blue would fade to white-ish... if they could keep paint on the planes...

On the upside they could cook lunch on bare metal!

Back