• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpeter 1/32 F-6F 3N (Done!)

Paulw

Long term project for the NF campaign.
I will get the decals I need later.
h3e52f31.JPG

I am trying to do it both for the Memorial thread, the Marine thing and the night fighter. VMF(N) 511 or 533

Trumpeter 1/32 F-6F 3N

Hell of a project Paul. First question is, Solid or tricolor scheme?

Trumpeter 1/32 F-6F 3N

I havent really thunk about it Bob. I still need some research.

Trumpeter 1/32 F-6F 3N

Great choice, Paul. Hope you've cleared some serious workbench space !!

Ian

Trumpeter 1/32 F-6F 3N

I do like this kit, however, one issue so far. It seems as if it is in the way the engine is assembled. I keep threatening to grind down on something but I have yet to figure out what. The exhaust from the cylinders to the collector for the supercharger always seems to come up short..

hacc3bdd.JPG

hd2b4afc.JPG

So I think this make me want to buy a resin one the next go round.

Trumpeter 1/32 F-6F 3N

I had a similar situation with the exhausts in Trumpy's Wellington, after fretting over it a while I found that you really couldn't see it from the front so it was no biggie unless you wanted to open it up.

Trumpeter 1/32 F-6F 3N

Not to mention complete lack of intake manifold, like Gary said, can't see it when it's buttoned up so don't worry about it. If you were going for an open cowl build you'd have a different engine anyways.

Press on Paul :pilot

Trumpeter 1/32 F-6F 3N

yeah well I guess you are right. Now I found out that the gear reduction unit and mag assemblies are not straight either. But Ill just do as good as I can and go from there.

Trumpeter 1/32 F-6F 3N

Well if you want to fix it, may I suggest Victor at Vector. can't find a link just now, found one but it looks like another website wrapping his website on theirs.

Trumpeter 1/32 F-6F 3N

Thats on Bob, I already did the evil deed. now to start on the pit and the gear.

Trumpeter 1/32 F-6F 3N

The difficulty that I had with this engine is more than likely my doings. Things just wouldn't co-operate and I took matters down a different road.
1. I cut all the headers from the collector ring and then placed each one in its proper place and glued them there. I still have some gaps there but the are quite a bit less than before. I cut out the locator tabs in the front to put the gear reduction in line with the rest of the engine. I just now have some touch ups left and the small little thingys that connect the tops of every other rocker cover.

So, that being done for the moment I went on to assemble the pit.

So I'll just have to put this fella on the side for a couple of days to take care of some other stuff that I have waiting in the wings.

Now that be

Trumpeter 1/32 F-6F 3N

Ii am really surprised at the fit of this model. It seems to be real good so far.

Trumpeter 1/32 F-6F 3N

either way Bob, they can be changed whenever the mood strikes, if I don't glue them in place. I have decided to do it as an 5N and all BSB. lots of fading for a plane in the Solomons. and a nekkid lady to boot. :D

Back