• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tom Kat

Interesting! learn something new every day!
thumbs up.gif

Never seen braces like this and I was a bomb loader. Why did they take the originals off the racks?
Dang man, learn something new every day.

What do you mean by originals?
The bomb rack on a P51, and any over bomb rack would have sway braces attached to them. They are removable.
This is for a P51K but I'm sure it's the same for all late models.
Here's a good shot of them from IPMS Stockholm
https://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2005/12/images/walkaround_p51_b_231.jpg

Been thinking about this. Those are the bigger P38 tanks, 110 gal I think? Maybe the original sway braces were too short and didn't give the stability needed. Or the geometry wasn't right for them to even fit the curvature of the tank.
Now i'm searching this I'm seeing more images with wooden sway braces. Nice find John! :dude:

The bomb rack on a P51, and any over bomb rack would have sway braces attached to them. They are removable.
This is for a P51K but I'm sure it's the same for all late models.
Here's a good shot of them from IPMS Stockholm
https://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2005/12/images/walkaround_p51_b_231.jpg

Been thinking about this. Those are the bigger P38 tanks, 110 gal I think? Maybe the original sway braces were too short and didn't give the stability needed. Or the geometry wasn't right for them to even fit the curvature of the tank.
Now i'm searching this I'm seeing more images with wooden sway braces. Nice find John! :dude:
Gotcha, yes, they were definitely bigger than the other two drop tanks. They still had those two braces but were of a different design.

The first two pictures above show the 165 gallon P-38 tanks. The third one might be a Firestone made 110 gallon metal tank that looks very much like what is on your model. Notice the weld seam is in the vertical plane on the Lockheed tank while the Firestone seam is in the horizontal plane as was the 75 gallon tank. The sway braces for the 75 gallon tanks most likely were a poor fit to the 110 gallon tanks. The 110 gallon tanks referenced by the TO posted are most likely the paper ETO tanks which were not used in the Pacific if what I have found is factual. They were close to the same diameter as the 75 gallon tank.

Firestone 110 gal drop tank 3.jpg

Firestone 110 gal drop tank 2.jpg

Firestone 110 gal drop tank 1.jpg

Last edited:
The first two pictures above show the 165 gallon P-38 tanks. The third one might be a Firestone made 110 gallon metal tank that looks very much like what is on your model. Notice the weld seam is in the vertical plane on the Lockheed tank while the Firestone seam is in the horizontal plane as was the 75 gallon tank. The sway braces for the 75 gallon tanks most likely were a poor fit to the 110 gallon tanks. The 110 gallon tanks referenced by the TO posted are most likely the paper ETO tanks which were not used in the Pacific if what I have found is factual. They were close to the same diameter as the 75 gallon tank.

View attachment 139352

View attachment 139353

View attachment 139354

Yea, the only reason I threw in the first 2 pictures were for the clarity of the wooden anti-sway brace. Great pics by the way👍👍

Thanks JohnE, you look at the mounting lugs and see how almost flat the area is around it. I'm thinking again the sway braces just don't have the angle to support these big fuel tanks.
Really neat, never have seen or heard of this. Outstanding build John. :tens:

Back