• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Thunderjet

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to Adam for getting me this for Secret Santa at another forum.

1:48 F84 Thunderjet from Revelle

Thunder01.jpg

Just got some paint squirted so far.

I'm building OOB, instruction call outs on the colors and doing BMF..probably, maybe a mixture. :coolio

Will the markings be unique like this?

F-84FThunderstreakGermanyDB110a.jpg

[Edit - Nevermind, this is a swept wing variant.]

Regards,

How about BM foil finish ? its not as hard as you might first think and is actually a lot of fun once you get started. I did an F104 ages ago but this would really lend its self to BM foil with its straight wings . (y)

BMF for sure Paddy.

http://www.bare-metal.com/

I intend to do the majority in BMF but i may still have some alclad around somewhere or other.

Nothing like that! :notworthy

I've used BMF in limited applications. This will be my first full BMF kit.

Here we go.

Revelle had it's trademark on the inside of one of the wings, guess they want to make sure it's seen.

Thunder02.jpg

sorry, scrubbed away.

Thunder03.jpg

Man that went together quickly! No fit issues I found. the rudder/stabilizer had a little alignment issue but it was easily corrected.

Thunder04.jpg

Thunder05.jpg

I probably spent more time in the cockpit than what it's worth, some of the reference photos I saw showed Interior Green, Green Zinc Chromate and Yellow, so I played around with all three, pretty sure i'll do that again and again. Makes a very interesting office.

Thunder06.jpg

Yellow Chromate in the gearwells

Already tested some BMF, one problem I see now is the panel lines are very fine and shallow. hard to see once the BMF is in place. Wonder if I should scribe the panels before foiling?

You might want to give it a coat of silver. 1/ to disguise any small gaps and 2/ I am told BMF sticks better to a painted gloss surface. The bare plastic is oily. ;) ..I use a cotton bud to rub the BMF into panel lines.

Thanks Paddy, will do.

The nose piece, doesn't seem to have a seam in it anywhere. I guess I'll do the Alclad treatment to it. Almost seems it would be easer to do this before major construction. Not completely mind you.

If you use the kit Red decals and add the anti glare panel i cant think a lot of the nose piece is showing which is handy :)

Woo, good point!

I was kinda sorta thinking of doing a generic scheme without all the flashy decals but if it covers some issues. all the better. (y)

Well folks, I have played with this foil long enough. I can't make it work. Give up, kaput..my biggest issue is what I see as the grain of the stuff, look way out of scale to me. I know you guys have done great job with your applications but I can't get pass that. Also the stock I have has a lot of scratches from misuse over the time I've had it, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I have a plan on both issues, since scale seems to be my issue..up the scale. :mpup

Fresh stock coming in, LOTS of it, but in the mean time..I'm going with Alclad.

Got it primed and black base coat applied. It's sitting in the room that we dare not go in so I will not be tempted to test if it's dry yet. I vow not to touch it for at least three days. I'll get a shot of it today.

In the mean time..I'm going to have some fun.

Back