• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Mainly28s Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-10

Well, I managed to get the 1st coat of anthracite on the spinner and prop, and the first coat of RLM76 on the rest of the plane. The drop tank hasn't had anything yet, which explains the shine. I also still need to do the canopy framing.

h0d1002c.jpg

As I've never worked with Lifecolor before, it's a little learning experience- it is a lot more watery than other acrylics I'm used to, and also covers less (well, as far as I'm concerned), so I guess I'll need at least 3 layers using my trusty brush.

So what's the deal with Lifecolors? Acrylics? what are you mixing it with?

build looks good so far :popcorn

So what's the deal with Lifecolors? Acrylics? what are you mixing it with?

build looks good so far :popcorn

Errr... distilled water? the ones I got were already pretty liquid, so very little added water. And thank you! As I mentioned elsewhere, it's my first in many a year, so I'm quite pleased with progress so far.

Looking good (y) I've heard that about Lifecolor paints. Almost that you have to lay them down over a primer coat and that it seems to take several coats to get coverage. But looks like you have it beat.

Well, I'm pleased (sort of) with my progress.
Bearing in mind that my eye-hand co-ordination is not what it used to be, and that really fine painting is something I need to re-train my hand in, I'm kind of satisfied, especially considering that it's my first aeroplane in more years than I care to remember! I must say that my eye-sight has definitely gone downhill- I hadn't realised that the canopy frame was as shaky as it is!

ha3fad00.jpg

Note that I'll be doing some weathering and defining of panel lines in the next stage (i.e. after the weekend), so please don't comment on that. I also want to go back and re-define and straighten out the canopy frame- it looks a lot worse on the picture than in real life (plus my hand's still a little shakier than I'd like).

I'm looking at this as a confidence-builder/booster rather than a must-get-it-right project.

I like how this turned out. Really looking good.

I've been using Lifecolor paints quite a bit. I have found it best to spray them with out thinning them at all. The paint seems to shrink as it dries, sort of like Tamiya primer. And if you need to touch up the paints at all you can brush paint over the sprayed paint and it blends perfectly. Can't say that about other brands. Unfortunaly, some of their colors are just weird compared to what we've come to expect. I've had good results in most cases.

Mike

So let me get this straight, you have no airbrush, right? You brush painted everything?

That is very, very impressive, Olaf! If I try to hand paint anything but little switches and knobs and the like, it looks like garbage.

That is a build that I would happy to put on my shelf. (y)

So let me get this straight, you have no airbrush, right? You brush painted everything?

That is very, very impressive, Olaf! If I try to hand paint anything but little switches and knobs and the like, it looks like garbage.

That is a build that I would happy to put on my shelf. (y)

Yup- totally by hand. I think the paint deserves the credit, though. It applies easily and smoothly.

I've spent part of today doing some pin-washes and overall filter over the RLM76, and will probably be able to complete the fine detail touch-ups tomorrow. No more pics until then!

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with how this one's turning out so far. I'm not ecstatic, but happy, considering my rustiness and lack of hand co-ordination. It's not brilliant, but better than I thought I'd be at this point.

I'm calling this one done...

All in all it's been a pretty nice experience. Many moons ago, before I moved countries, and before I had my mini-stroke, I built kits in 1:32nd, and was very happy with them. I've downscaled to 1:48th for space reasons, and it's still strange to see the quality of kits in this scale when compared with what I was used to.
This build does not come close to what I used to achieve (I built some kits that are in a museum now), but it's a step in the right direction for me. I feel quite a bit more confident in my co-ordination, but the painting still leaves a lot to be desired (and yes, I know there's no swastika, but the kit didn't have one).

h4577b0b.jpg

h73f100c.jpg

h4487086.jpg

ha767b85.jpg

Yes, the exhaust staining is not what I'd like it to be, and the canopy framing is still a little straggly, but I can't get it any straighter, bearing in mind it's all hand-painted/brushed, and no airbrushes were involved in the making of the kit.
Onward and to the next one!

I'll take some more pics for the completion thread and post them there later today.

That's the spirit, like what you build and build what you like. Each one a stepping stone to the next. (y)

I like what you got here, you've already stated what needs to be address so nothing but (y) from me.

Hey Olaf - are those kit decals or aftermarket?

Thanks
Mike

:drinks

Straight from the box (you get two options)-

hde2a82b_2014-03-25.jpg

Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-10 05- JG1- W9+I, Anklam, November 1944

hffcb66b.jpg

Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-10 05- JG27- B11+-, Schleswig-Holstein, March 1945

Loads of stencils and stuff, but no swastikas.

Back