• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Hairspray Trick- clear coat barrier?

chukw

I've been getting conflicting info- do you put a coat of clear between each layer of base color and paint or not?

Cheers-
chuk

EDIT- I see Rick Lawler has great luck with the Future coat- I did that with mine but the upper coat is not easy to scrub off- a thin layer of Tamiya that I've attacked immediately! :bang head

It doesn't look that bad, but the chippy look I was hoping for.

Don't know what to tell ya buddy..I have the same problems. The clear coat between layers just doesn't do what they make look so easy to do. Maybe we're not allowing it to cure long enough before attacking the next layer?

Hi, after spraying the base-color and letting it dry, i spray on the hairspray with the airbrush (more control of where it goes and how much) then i paint the next layer of paint and let it set for a while before i start scrubbing with a stiff brush and water.
never used any clearcoat between the layers :Hiay

AH!! I think there in is one trick. you don't spray the entire model with hairspray, just the areas you want the effect on. Makes sense.

The interiors I've done with the hairspray have turned out OK, except for the one I forgot and let the top coat dry all day. I sprayed the entire piece with my base coat, let that dry completely and sprayed a couple pretty wet coats of hairspray over the entire piece, letting each coat dry before adding another. This was shot straight from the can. Steinman says the thicker the layer of hairspray, the easier the top layer scrubs off. He's the doctor!

The only benefit I think there is to a clear coat (future or anything similar) is to protect any weathering from being effected in the removal of the paint layer. The water attacks the hairspray layer (just like the shower attacks it in your hair) and it shouldn't make a to big a difference if it's over a clear or not. When I did the chipped up bed in my half track, I skipped this step and it completely ruined the wood grain effect below it so I had to go back and start all over again. The paint chipped exactly the same but I also scrubbed off the wood grain effect.

My guess Chuck, is perhaps your hair spray layer wasn't thick enough? Tamiya seems to be the best paint for this effect, Vallejo not so much. The Tamiya paint comes up in small, scale sized chips and scuffs, Vallejo tends to peel off in large chunks and sheets.

I use TRESemme, 'Tres Two' ultra fine mist right out of the can. There's no need to decant it and put it in the airbrush for me, the ultra fine mist works perfectly by laying on very light coats until I am happy with the amount.

I have still been able to get the paint to chip for a couple of days, although it may take more vigorous scrubbing, it still works for me. Try again with a couple more layers of hair spray and see what happens, I usually let each layer dry before laying down another.

but that's just my experiences with the technique, others may have differing opinions. :peace

Thanks for all the input- much appreciated! Here's an interesting tidbit sent by Kamil Feliks: use Micro Sol to soften the paint layer. Gonna try that one, too. I'm pretty happyt with the way things have turned out so far- the kubels paint is ready for weathering now. The wellis going to get more layers, so new tips will be to use!

cheers!
chuk

Back