• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Battle Of Kursk

B) I'm in with a grey and brown Tiger 1 DAS REICH.

MP - There were plenty of earlier issued Tigers in grey at Kursk (as Mr T confirmed), from the SS units to the Army (such as GrossDeutschland). They just had other cammo sprayed on the grey.

The newer prod. models were yellow and some were even in a weird green grey as in s.PzAblt. 503.

If you need any color profiles just let me know. :)

Ian.

This should be fun to watch.

While I was researching S02 I found out that the funny green grey was actually an overspray of dark yellow over German grey.

While I was researching S02 I found out that the funny green grey was actually an overspray of dark yellow over German grey.

My English is not so good as I want it to be, does it mean that in green gray camo green is dark yellow?

The campaign will start July 1, 2013 and run six months, ending November 30, 2013. That's longer than the reall battle lasted. :laugh: B)

Sounds like some great ideas, gentlemen, I hope to see you all there. :coolio

While I was researching S02 I found out that the funny green grey was actually an over spray of dark yellow over German grey.

My English is not so good as I want it to be, does it mean that in green gray camo green is dark yellow?

Yes just before the battle Das Reich gave a quick overspray of dark yellow to their dark grey tigers. The coat was not heavy enough to mask the grey thus the resulting mix looked green. Dark Yellow, or Dunklegelb had a very greenish tint to it as it were, letting the dark grey show through only strengthens the perceived green tint.

There are instances of a pattern of camouflage green applied over dark grey as well as a pattern of dark yellow over grey, this is not to what I am referring.

The campaign will start July 1, 2013 and run six months, ending November 30, 2013. That's longer than the reall battle lasted. :laugh: B)

:hmmm 6 months :hmmm
I should think well that I will manage to make in 6 months :)
Probably I should build any one model in this GB:)
I need to inspect my stash or shops :)

Yes just before the battle Das Reich gave a quick overspray of dark yellow to their dark grey tigers. The coat was not heavy enough to mask the grey thus the resulting mix looked green. Dark Yellow, or Dunklegelb had a very greenish tint to it as it were, letting the dark grey show through only strengthens the perceived green tint.

There are instances of a pattern of camouflage green applied over dark grey as well as a pattern of dark yellow over grey, this is not to what I am referring.

Sounds like interesting task of selection of paints to represent the real look. :hmmm

B) I'm in with a grey and brown Tiger 1 DAS REICH.

MP - There were plenty of earlier issued Tigers in grey at Kursk (as Mr T confirmed), from the SS units to the Army (such as GrossDeutschland). They just had other cammo sprayed on the grey.

The newer prod. models were yellow and some were even in a weird green grey as in s.PzAblt. 503.

If you need any color profiles just let me know. :)

Ian.

This should be fun to watch.

B) :coolio
Can you give us a bit more detail from your research John - sounds juicy :popcorn !

Ian.

I think I'll build major Sankovskiy SU-152 who with his crew destroyed 10 German tanks in a single day during Battle of Kursk, and was awarded the title of Hero of the Soviet Union. So it would be SU-152 from 1541 heavy mechanized gun regiment.
I found 2 photos of his gun
first from waralbum
41115.jpg

second from foto.mail.ru
i-2306.jpg

Re: U-Boat waterlined 1/72 scale

Sorry for the delay Ian. I think this picture says it all. Look at the barrel, this is a thin layer of dark yellow over dark grey. I did this project a few years ago for Dave Grummit's magazine, so I didn't really post up a bunch of photos. It seems that Das Reich did just that to their kitties. A quick and not so good application of dark yellow over the dark grey. Most of my reference pics came from Tiger in Combat, but S02 was do dirty it is hard to tell what the real color actually is! There is a ton of discussion on ML about S02 and that is where I found out about the overspray.

ForIan.jpg

Should we not be getting this one dusted off soon also?

Anybody know what all was used at Kursk? I can imagine it was pretty much anything that could be thrown into the fray.

Anything to do with the Battle of Kursk. I suspect you could do civilian refuges if you wanted.

Back