• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya P51

Sorry didn't mean to assume you didn't know. My eyes are crossed...I've been looking at CAD files all damn day trying to get this shroud designed for my exhaust. I've never seen that graphic you're talking about.

Sorry didn't mean to assume you didn't know. My eyes are crossed...I've been looking at CAD files all damn day trying to get this shroud designed for my exhaust. I've never seen that graphic you're talking about.
Come on Mo, no need for apologies. I'm happy to see input on what we're all doing here even if it's known stuff.

I know, I'm basing my build off the builds you guys have done and recent changes in "standard" of doing Mustangs.

There was a good graphic once that showed what the different aluminums were used on the aircraft, seems it was made by AlcladII but I can't find it.
I'm going with a silver on the wings. :pilot
Here is one builder's approach with AlClad, MODELLING NEWS P-51. If using regular paint, mixing white and silver (approximately 50/50) gives the aluminum paint look.

This might be of use too.
49279078428_aa30a36c75_o.jpg

When the change from camouflage to unpainted was made, North American's direction to field units was to apply a mix of aluminum paste and clear lacquer or varnish over the camouflage paint from the leading edge up to the 40% chord line of the airfoil. Any specified thinner could be used to remove the camouflage paint from other aircraft surfaces.

Cheers,
Rich

thanks Rich. Good stuff. A dull aluminum would work maybe?
WOW, they stripped the camo off some, wonder if the finish on the aluminum was effected in that, maybe not.

Dull aluminum should work. The shade of aluminium paint would change as it weathered.

In some period photos the only visible difference between the paInted wings and theunpainted fuselage is the panel lines and rivets being slightly visible on the fuselage. Many of the airframes that went to Korea with the USAF had the wings stripped during post-war overhauls.

Cheers,
Rich

@Greg Kimsey OK Greg where ya at with yours?

@iambrb and @errains I got the wing root issue figured out.
1674085293416.png

I had left a ever so slight nub of a sprue gate on a part of the upper wing and when I tried to set the fuselage down it stopped it, I mean it was small. Scrapped it down and bam! This is testament to the tolerances of Tamiya and how they make such great kits.

Dammit. After reading through your build it seems I have done EVERTHING wrong. Using reference photos, I actually added rivets ! You all say putty until smooth. GRRRRRRRR! Well, back to the drawing board!

No no, build as you like Greg, if we all made the same thing what's the fun in that?
But it is inaccurate, no? I am not a rivet counter but if the wings are smooth then the wings should be smooth. I am building out of ignorance and pictures, not actual knowledge. I have read and watched videos but totally missed the wings being smooth. How about the tail wing (I don't even know the name of them without looking it up!)

You can't go wrong either way. The filler that was applied to the wing was constantly being applied from the toll of stress and combat.
Also I believe the wing was the only thing to get the putty treatment to help aerodynamics.

Looking good moon!

I believe the wing was the only thing to get the putty treatment to help aerodynamics.
Only the wings had the putty treatment.

The horizontal stabilizers didn't have a putty treatment.

As Bob wrote, have fun with the build, it is all that matters. If you plan to redo the wings, it is on you. I don't think anyone here is telling you to but you decide how you have fun.

Only the wings had the putty treatment.

The horizontal stabilizers didn't have a putty treatment.

As Bob wrote, have fun with the build, it is all that matters. If you plan to redo the wings, it is on you. I don't think anyone here is telling you to but you decide how you have fun.
No; I realize that. I don't want to highjack Bob's thread; I want to learn from it. That is why I am here!

PS:I did reputty the wings. It was easy to do and I enjoyed doing it, so all is well.

This was a not well known fact about the P51 for many years so you'll see award winning build with polished aluminum wings and it's nothing wrong with it. I don't think I've seen it mentioned until maybe 5 years ago, let alone modeled. In fact I wouldn't be shocked that a model these days get knocked for not having panel line accents on the judging table.

:ph::bang head:bash::facepalm:

I thought I was ready to start painting, got the front windscreen on, masked the canopy and went to pull the part for the canopy frame...the canopy frame...part C something...
Where's sprue C?

1693270333713.png

Unless I can find that bugger I got a huge gap to fill. :ph::bang head:bash::facepalm:

Back