• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya P51

That is why I have the little needle valve right at the airbrush. It controls the airflow "right there". I have seen some of the newer airbrushes with a built in airflow control in them.

I gotta tell ya. It's really nice having the air brush ready at the reach. I squirted some paint in between weedeating and cutting the grass. Got 15-20 minutes in here and there.
I've been wondering how this would turn out, a mottle of white vers black undercoat on the Airframe Aluminum. After doing this, seems like i've learned this lesson before.
1696725907267.png

1696725970766.png

1696725986332.png

eh, not sure yet. Let's take this to the end. As you can see I got the antiglare shield on, not sure about my symmetry here.

The Alclad is going on really great. Taking the masking well. Has me thinking about my air system at the old place.

When I inherited the compressor at the old place the old fella we bought the property from told me about this filter that sat on the tank. He said it was the air inlet but I had to keep oil in it to keep moisture out. After reading about oiling systems for compressors I'm thinking that was more than air inlet, it was actutally an oiler to get oil INTO the air system for the pneumatic tools that the compressor ran, a compressor that came out of an old gas station.

Does this explain the reason I had so much troubles over the years with spray painting, I was actually injecting oil into the paint? The reason I'm thinking this is this application of Alclad is going on like a champ. No pealing, takes a mask great. Could I had been shooting myself in the foot all those years with the air system I had?

When I built the P-47, I actually put some of the decals directly on the Alclad with little trouble. The biggest problem was really the thick Tamiya decals that just didn't want to lay down right. I think thinner decals would have done just fine.

Big thank you to @jknaus for the building Rig, I gotta do some hardware upgrades, the plastic screws ain't gonna make it with my gorilla hands.

1696800970856.png

Pulled the masking tape off and NOTHING peeled. I got some warts on this but I'm pressing on. Just want to get a build completed in my new setup.

1696801038306.png

1696801091821.png

The rudder was doped cloth so I'm going to try and free hand some dark aluminum on it..

Nice to be back on the bench :pilot

I was doing some touch up on a panel and grabbed Polished Aluminum instead of Airframe aluminum.
1696900969005.png

Can you see it? :rotf

Think I'll mask off a couple more panels and polish them up.

And she's up!
1696988138609.png

I added a little more Polished Aluminum just to break things up. I'm going to do magnesium on the panels around the exhaust and then put the stickers on.
It's really nice to sneak into the shed and model for 15-20 in the day. I log on the teams on my phone and it looks like I'm at work. :rotf

1697420842176.png

Butchering the decals. Cutting them along the panel lines to get them to lay down. Not that it's really a problem but it is silvering under those lines so I score it.

More warts being found. I have no idea where that scrach behind the gun bay door came from. I'll sand it out and fix that but the rest of the warts stay. This is a find "yo mojo" build for me.

I found with the Tamiya kits I have built that you pretty much need Solvaset to make the decals settle down. My P-47 was a bit of a pain in the canoli with the invasion stripes on the fuselage.

What has he done now?
1697931581596.png

Totally hosed up a decal so I tried to remove it with the tape method, then light sanding, well one thing lead to another I was back down to bare plastic. I built back the layers, Black primer, Aqua clear coat then polished aluminum and got the decal back in place.

If I had to give this build a name I'd call it Warts and All. I know there are issues, I've attempted to fix some but I'm not getting hung up on them. This was more of a build to get my bearings around the new model shed. I need to get a nice photo area somewhere.

At this point I'm callin'er done.
1697931812020.png

1697931826350.png

1697931845571.png

1697931855737.png

1697931873847.png

I gave the exhausts pipes a wash of rust and gave it an overall gloss coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss coat. I'll have to put something in the gun ports, they got cut out early on. Just some brass tube I got all over the place. That'll do it. maybe some soot down the side, I see no need for a panel wash, panels are pretty well defined I think.
Oh shoot, gotta do the ETO stripes, not invasion stripes, just the ETO.

Last edited:
Back