• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya acrylics exposed

Phil_H

I'm going to start with a disclaimer. I'm not a paint chemist/technologist - merely a modeller who has used Tamiya paints for many years. These are simply my thoughs and observations.

Tamiya's range of acrylic paints has been with us since the early 1980's. That's well over 25 years, but still, some modellers regard them with fear, uncertainty and doubt and refuse to use them, often simply because they're "different" to the enamels they're familiar with. Having said that, it's fair enough if one has a significant investment in other paints, is happy with their results and really has no need to change to another system.

However, for someone starting out in modelling or someone returning to modelling after a long period away, there's really nothing rmysterious or intimidating anout them, like any tool, you just have to learn how to use them correctly.

Is it a "true" acrylic?

A common misconception which I've seen on various model forums is that Tamiya's acrylics are not "true" acrylics because they can be reduced (thinned) with solvents other than water. I believe that this has come about because model paint manufacturers have put a great deal of emphasis on the easy clean up of acrylic paints using water.

The reality is that while most uncured acrylic paints are soluble in water, this is irrelevant in determining whether a paint is acrylic or not. The term "acrylic" describes a particular class of polymers (essentially a type of plastic) of a particular molecular structure, formed by the polymerisation (or joining) of smaller molecules (or monomers). Acrylic paints contain binders made up of chemicals based on these monomers. What this means is that acrylic paints don't simply dry. As the paint dries, there is a "natural" molecular attraction which causes these monomers to join together to form "long chain molecules" (aka polymers). Essentially, the paint becomes a film of "plastic". After the curing process is completed, the paint is unaffected by water.
(Apologies for the chemistry lesson - Industrial chemists and paint technologists are welcome to add comments/corrections.)

Over the years, I've seen many different suggestions for thinner for Tamiya acrylics, ranging from water to lacquer thinner. Whatever one uses, it does not change the fact that Tamiya's acrylic paints are (chemically) based on acrylic compounds, so they are undisputably acrylic paints.

What's the best thinner for Tamiya acrylics?

One of the most frequently asked questions on modelling forums is "What's the best thinner for Tamiya acrylics?"

Looking around.various forums, you will see almost everything from water, Windex, automotive windshield washer solution, Isopropyl and denatured (ethyl) alcohols, even laxquer thinner.

Despite what you may read, the best thinner for Tamiya's acrylics is Tamiya's own X-20A acrylic thinner. My understanding is that this is a mixture of Isopropyl alcohol, propylene glycol and other alcohols. It's the one which works the most reliably and consistently.

Let's look at some of the alternatives mentioned:

[ol]Water: While water will work to a certain extent, it has a tendency to degrade both the covering ability and adhesion of the paint. Push it too far and the paint will tend to bead and not stick. Also, tap water can vary considerably from one locality to another, containing dissolved minerals abd chemicals which may affect the behaviour of your paint. If you must use water, use distilled water for cosistency.

Windex: Windex is the trade name of a window cleaning product manufactured by S.C. Johnson & Co. and is available in many (but not all) countries. Windex is primarily water with a quantity of isopropyl alcohol and ammonia. While some people report successfully using Windex as a thinner, I wouldn't recommend it. The ammonia content will actually break down dry/cured acrylic paints and, I suspect, inhibits or retards the polymerization process when added to fresh paint. On the other hand, it can be useful in removing paint from your airbrush, but it must be rinsed very well with clean water afterwards as ammonia can be corrosive.

Windscreen washer solution: Some people use windscreen washer solurion. There are many different proprietary mixes, many containing (mostly) water, isopropyl alcohiol, propylene glycol and some detergents. Coincidentally, Tamiya thinner is composed of Isopropyl alcohol and propylene glycol, but in a higher concentration. I haven't tried windscreen washer solution, so I can't personally comment about its effectiveness. I rather suspect that it's only marginally better than water because the detergents act as a surfactant and reduce the surface tension, helping it to spread rather than bead.

Isopropyl alcohol: This is the primary component of Tamiya's own thinner and many people swear by it. It's often available from supermarkets and pharmacies in the form of "rubbing alcohol" at a 70% concentration. However, the preferred oprion is 90% (or higher) Here in Australia, it's much more difficult to obtain (and much more expensive, often being about the same price or more than "genuine" Tamiya thinner) than it is in, say, the United States. When used as a thinner on its own, Tamiya paint has a tendency to dry very quickly and depending on air pressure settings and distance from the airbrush to the subject, may cause the paint droplets to dry in mid-air between the airbrush and the surface being painted, resulting in a coarse, gritty finish.

Ethyl (denatured) alcohol: Ethyl alcohol is somewhat compatible with Tamiya acrylic paints. Here in Australia, it's much much cheaper than Tamiya thinner or Isopropyl alcohol, and much more obtainable. (1 litre of methylated spirits is a bit over $3.00) As a thinner for Tamiya paint, it's a little more aggressive and dries even faster than paint thinned with Isopropyl alcohol. It is "wetter" than Tamiya thinner and one can thin to a much greater degree and still get coverage where paint thinned to the same extent using Tamiya's thinner will bead and separate. I'm talking about thinning to 80% or higher thinner to paint. For certain applications, I like my paint very thin. and it works for those purposes. I do airbrush at fairly low pressures and at very close distances though.

When using either of the alcohol options above, you may wish to add an amount of acrylic retarder (available from artists supply stores. Many retarders are based on propylene glycol (another of the "main" constituents of Tamiya's paint and thinner) and extend the drying time of the paint. Also note that the alcohol options are not recommended for Tamiya's gloss acrylics, as the fast drying associated with the alcohols means that the paints may "flash dry" before a continuous smooth film forms on the paint, leading to a "dull" surface.

Lacquer thinner: Some people thin Tamiya acrylics with Lacquer thinner. "Lacquer thinners" vary quite considerably from brand to brand and may contain varying concentrations of solvents, many of which are unfrinedly to styrene. Many of the "hobby branded" lacquer thinners (reg. Tamiya, Gunze's "Mr Thinner" etc) are said to work with Tamiya paint What's the story there?

Well, I haven't tried either of these so I haven't any personal experience, but I'll make a semi-educated guess. The "hobby brand" lacquer thinners are formulated to work with paints for styrene models, so by necessity, they're less agggressive than "generic" lacquer thinners. It's said that you can leave styrene parts soaking in Tamiya or Gunze lacquer thinners with no ill effects, whereas if you try that with most generic lacquer thinners, you very quickly have a puddle of goo.

Now most lacquer thinners are a blend of alcohols and other aggressive solvents. My suspicion is that the "hobby brand" lacquer thinners contain a higher concentration of compatible alcohols and lower concentrations of the other solvents, which may explain why they work with Tamiya paints.[/ol]

Another common misconception which is often bandied about is that Tamiya paints are designed for airbrushing and can't be hand brushed, or don't hand brush very well. When they first hit the market in the early 80's Tamiya's acrylics hand brushed remarkably well. Under optimum conditions, you could brush it straight out of the bottle and when dry, they were so dead flat and streak free that it was difficult to tell they were brushed and not sprayed. Unfortunately this changed some time around 1990 and they've been finnicky to hand brush ever since, so it is true that today's Tamiya paints can be difficult to hand brush out of the bottle, but if are prepared to do a little preparation, they do hand brush rather well.

For successful brush painting with Tamiiya acrylics:

Stir the paint well.
[ul]30 seconds of shaking the bottle is pointless. Open the bottle and stir until there are no lumps or strings of paint. [/ul]
Don't paint out of the bottle.
[ul]Decant a small amount of paint onto a suitable palette [/ul]
Thin your paint
[ul] Add a small amount of Tamiya thinner, about 10%, and stir well (EDIT: Recent testing indicates that this should be closer to 30%. Take this as a starting point and adjust as required.) [/ul]
Use good quality brushes
[ul]Forget about the cheap "Dollar store" 10-on a card for $2.00 brushes, I'm talking about red sable/Kolinsky sable or high-grade Golden Taklon. Yes, we are talking a lot of $$$ but the results are worth it and when looked after properly, your brushes will last for many years.[/ul]
Put a small quantity of clean thinner in a suitable container (or another well on your palette)

Moisten your brush slightly in the clean thinner before dipping it into the paint. This "lubricates" the brush and allows the paint to flow more smoothly, both onto and off the brush.
(Dipping into the thinner, you only want it slightly moist, not wet. If you pick up too much thinner, wick it off on a paper towel or tissue.) Repeat this step every other time you "load" the brush with paint.

Brush in short, smooth, even strokes, preferably in the same direction. Only brush "back" as far as the last "wet edge". IMPORTANT: Do not brush over previously painted areas which may appear dry. Doing so will "roll it up" in ugly chunks. If you need to overcoat an area, allow it to dry and cure overnight before recoating.

If paint os starting to dry on the brush, stop for a few minutes and take the time to clean the brush. Not doing so will mean degraded btush performance, resulting in streaks and brush marks and the possibility of dry chunks of paint flaking off the bristles onto the surface you're painting.

Allow to dry overnight before painting any successive layers or colours.

Addendum:
Is it dry? It's still soft
One of the big selling points of Tamiya (and other) acrylics is the "fast drying" sspect. As I mentioned above, acrylic paints don't just dry, they cure. It's important to understand that there's a difference. Tamiya acrylics, particularly their flats, "touch dry" exceptionally quickly, sometimes within seconds of application when airbrushing. However, this simply means that the solvent has evaporated. It can take considerably longer for the paint to fully cure. During this time, the film of paint is quite fragile and is easily scratched. In the case of flats, it can be 18-24 hours before it reaches full hardness. Tamiya's gloss acrylics can take even longer due to the less permeable glossy surface film inhibiting the evaporation of the solvents (which in turn inhibit the curing process). Depending on the thickness of the application, this can sometimes take a week or more.

Superb article and many thanks Phil :)

Just as an aside , Tamiya have just released their own drying retarder agent .

Jenny :kiss:

Hey Jenny,

Yes, it will be interesting to see if Tamiya's proprietary retarder is any more effective than the generic ones. Most likely it will be in the $8.00 range for a 40ml bottle, compared to $12.00-$14.00 for a 250ml generic "artist" branded retarder. :eek:hmy:

You're welcome Tom,

I hope it helps. It's just a question of patience and taking the time to become familiar with how it behaves, Incidentally, the process I have outlined above is almost exactly the same as that for using Vallejo acrylics, which are widely regarded as one of the best paints for brush painting. The only real difference is that you have to wait for each coat of Tamiya paint to cure before overcoating, whereas Vallejo's can be overcoated almost immediately the previous coat is dry.

It's funny that Tamiya paints get such a bad rap when people try to paint them straight out of the bottle. When you rty to use Vallejo's straight out of the bottle without thinning, they are also thick, lumpy and streaky, but once you thin them down a bit, they're magic. While Tamiya's are not quite magic, they are much better behaved when thinned slightly.

I did a very quick test this afternoon.

This was done using a brand new (well, 3 months old actually) jar of Tamiya XF-60.
I'm sure that this will look familiar to people who have tried to paint with Tamiya acrylics straight from the bottle. The more you try to get a stubborn spot to cover, the worse it gets.

roof.jpg

In the following pic, the paint is from the same jar, only this time it's thinned with about 30% Tamiya X-20A thinner. Yes,I know it's a bit rough and I'm not going to win any points for neatness. I actually broke one of my own rules and didn't wait for it to cure before overcoating, and you can see where it lifted as a result. But overall, the coverage is much better and the finish smoother. There is the odd lump or two as a result of the lifting too.

rear.jpg

Now..... This last pic....

I can't put an exact age on thie particular jar of XF-60, but an estimate would be between 22 and 25 years, which truly makes it a "vintage" jar of, I believe, the original formulation. It's brushed straight out of the jar unthinned, in parts overcoated while wet, in others overcoated when partially dry. No lifting, no chunks.

front.jpg

Unfortunately you can't turn back time. :(

All three sections were painted with the same brush (a Size 1 round sable) on a 1/72 Hetzer upper hull, so you know how small that is.

Pollyscale Acrylics is my nemesis. I have used it on and off, I have had inconsistencies from the same bottle before. Just can't figure out what the deal is. What's your experience with Pollyscale Phil?

Bob,

I've used Polyscale acrylics in the past quite a bit and have had great results...I have thinned them with water alot right in the bottle to a milky consistancy. To me they are the best for brush painting...just my limited experience there as I'm certainly no master painter.

Although sometimes I notice bubbling if you use too much water etc. Usually stirring the paints again takes care of that.

I don't have a camera at the moment or I would post some photos of figures I painted. :eek:hmy:

Hope this helps somewhat....excellent article Phil

Regards, Paul

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with PollyScale paints at all. I don't think I've ever actually seen them here in Australia.

Sandy finish, now thats a problem I have with tamiya. I use there thinner .the retarder ,do you have a name brand and how much do you use? does tamiya have a retarder, seems to me a few years ago model railroad paint had it to include in you paint run, but with Kaliforina and their nanny epa regs they have probably taken it away. But I would like to give it a try if some one could point me in the right directions
Jim

Hi Jim,

If you're getting a "sandy" (ie. dusty/gritty) finish, with what feels like a loose, powdery coating which comes off when you run your fingers over it, it may be the result spraying from too great a distance and/or at too high an air pressure, causing the paint to dry in the air between your airbrush and your model. Ambient air temp and humidity(or lack of) may also be contributing factors.

You can try reducing your air pressure and painting at a closer distance - say 10-12cm from the surface. Try this forst before you look at adding a retarder.

In the last few months, Tamiya has released their own proprietary retarder, but you can also get generic acrylic retarders from art supplies stores. Some oft mentioned US brands include Liquitex and Golden. Personally I don't use a lot of retarder, when I do it's usually only one or two drops per ml of paint - you may need to experiment to see how it behaves. DON'T add it to the whole jar of paint - only add it to your thinned paint when you're ready to spray.

Phil , great topic with lots of good info in it , I will try your suggestions. This sandndy problem doesnt happen every time , but is annoying. do you know the part number for the tamiya retarder or is it not out yet.
thanks
jim

Hi Phil,

Read you article with interest, and with some agreeance and with some disagreement.

First up, I have to stongly disagree with you saying the best thinner to use for thinning Tamiya Acrylics is use their own thinner. I have found this to be the worst to use. It is so inconsistant its not funny. I use and strongly reccomend using general purpose thinners for Tamiya Acrylics.

I have found that yo can thin the paint a lot more, and with more control, I generally start thinning by at least 50% and thenadd more if needed.

It also helps in giving the paint a smoother finish, as wel as being a lot stronger in regard to scratching and rubbing of.

Using general purpose thinners also acts as an etch, which lightly eat into the plastic, without softening, destroying or hurting it, and then gases out vey quickly.

In regards to decanting first, and then spraying, this would be a personal thing o do in my eyes. I dont disagree with what you are saying, but this is what I do.

I have specific 40ml jars, which i decant the all of the paint into. I then add small amounts of thinner to the original paint ja, shaking and stiring to get the last of the pigments out, and also broken down, and this then goes in to the new jar. I then addmore thinner, until it is thinned to at least 50%.

This now gives me a lot of paint, already pre thinned and ready to go. By not mixing up at every spray session, i have saved a lot of time, loss of paint and mess.

All of my jars are clear glass, with proper lids, and are all labeled,so i can read what it is and also see it.

Glen

Hi Glen,

Thanks for your input, as I said at the start, these are simply my own observations and opinions.

I don't think there's ever going to be universal agreement on the best thinner for Tamiya acrylics. In my opinion, Tamiya's own acrylic thinner is the most reliable option for someone starting out and unfamiliar with the paint. It's predictable and pretty much foolproof for basic use. I've also found that when using alternative thinners with Tamiya's gloss acrylics, the sheen is diminished in comparison to when thinned with X-20A.

Having said that, if general purpose thinners (which I believe is the next nearest thing to lacquer thinners) works for you, then that's all that really matters. Sounds like I was luckier with the acrylic thinner than you were.. lol

I'm going to contradict myself now...

Like you, I prefer to shoot my Tamiya acrylics very thin and for this, I actually prefer using methylated spirits (ethyl alcohol). I often thin up to 75%-80% or more thinner and find that metho will work, whereas when thinned with X-20A at the same rates, it starts to bead and lose adhesion.

I suspect that many of the problems that people encounter when airbrushing Tamiya acrylics stems from insufficient thinning. I often see people recommending two parts paint to one part thinner. I know it comes down to individual technique and so on, but I get the best results thinning much more (as mentioned) and applying multiple coats.

On the topic of decanting, I mentioned that more in relation to brush painting, as it's near impossible to get a decent finish painting straight from the jar. If you're pre-thinning paint for airbrushing and you're able to use the whole amount within a reasonably short period, say two weeks, then by all means, go for it. I've found that unthinned Tamiya acrylic, even after opening, has the most incredibly long shelf life and have some which must be approaching 30 years old.

Cheers,

Phil

Ive recently been using Tamiya thinned with Distilled water and applying via a brush just for detailing works ie I painted the rubber on road wheels with NATO BLK it comes out very well but not tried over big surfaces though

A

I read with interest your article as I have to admit that I am one of those people who shudder at the thought of having to apply Tamiya acrylics by brush. Hopefully by giving your suggestions a go I might not be so reluctant when it comes to needing to brush it on to match already existing airbrushed parts.

For me it seems to have the consistency of slime when brushed on which is not conducive to a nice neat finish. :angry:

However, when it comes to airbrushing I prefer it over several other brands I have.

The sandy effect of drying prematurely can be used to your advantage too. It is great painting on hot days if you want a fine non-slip surface or for the flat tray of the Faun trailer I have just finished.Gives a nice effect that when scaled up would not look like walking on marbles.

Phil
i love the information you have put out here . I use a lot of Tamiya but i have to admit since i bought that briefcase full of vallejo i have kept em put away! i will dig them back out again.Should i stick with x-20 or is it better to use their new lacquer base stuff? :hmmm

Hi Dave,

As I mentioned, I haven't used lacquer thinners of any flavour with Tamiya acrylics. Some people have reported good results with the lacquer thinner, so I'm not really in a position to dispute that.

For most purposes, the X-20A thinner is fine, but as mentioned, I prefer to airbrush a very thin mix and I find that when used for mixes over about 66% thinner, it starts to bead and lose adhesion. I often use methylated spirits (ethyl alcohol aka denatured alcohol) up to 80% thinner/20% paint and have few adhesion/coverage problems.

There are certain downsides to ussing lacquer thinner with Tamiya acrylics:
- It will be more toxic and good ventilation and a respirator are essential
- you will lose the easy clean-up aspect and will require lacquer thinner for cleanup instead of water.

Ultimately, the choice is yours.

Back