• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1/48 scale Kettenkraftrad

matrixone

Here is my kit, not much to it but I will make do with what I have. :v

In the next week or so I will be able to get started on it.

ha57d761.JPG

h51fbd3b.JPG

Matrixone

I have started work on my entry, below are some photographs of a couple of the Kettenkraftrads that were used by the Luftwaffe for towing aircraft, notice the missing headlight and fender mounted license plate.

he6a6f0a.JPG

hefe17df.JPG

h1ce4dd3.JPG

And the progress on my model, I removed the fender mounted license plate on my kit but I am not sure if I will also delete the headlight too as I kind of like the look of it.

h0f0078f.JPG

h58e7480.JPG

I will finish building the Kettenkraftrad first and then finish building the ground crew figure, that way I can better fit the arms to make sure they make contact to the vehicle exactly where they need to be.

Matrixone

Ryan,
Yes this a great kit, I pulled this one from one of my Me 262 kits and what a nice bonus Tamiya included in that kit.

The thing I am most impressed by is some of the attention to detail Tamiya included, the air valve stem on the front tire is a nice touch. (y)

Matrixone

Luiz,
To my eyes the camouflage colors on the first photograph I posted of the Kettenkrad still in Luftwaffe service looks to be dark yellow with green lines sprayed on it to aid the camouflage effect and I will paint my model in a similar fashion.

I would have much preferred building a 1/35 scale version of this vehicle but don't have any to build for this GB so its the 1/48 scale Tamiya kit or nothing but even for a model of such a tiny vehicle this kit is nicely done with some fine detail molded into the parts.
Expect to see the finished model used with my Do 335 airfield pictures once the Dorniers are finished. :)

BTW, the photograph of the Kettenkrad with the U.S. serviceman on it was taken at Furth shortly after the war ended.

Matrixone

More work done on my entry...some painting has been done by adding the base coat of dark yellow on most parts. I also sprayed on a darker version of the dark yellow color on the undersides for a forced shadow effect. Not seen in these pictures is the forks and handlebars which were also painted dark yellow.

h01d17f4.JPG

haf792cf.JPG

h52c21e5.JPG

h0f352b2.JPG

Next I will airbrush on the dark green stripes to complete the camouflage effect.

Matrixone

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

The camouflage pattern of interconnected sprayed green lines has been painted on and some painting of the seats and tracks was done by brush.

hcdc39d7.JPG

h7b61159.JPG

h8c4d2f5.JPG

ha180ae3.JPG

Next I will paint all the road wheels and add them to the tracks.

Matrixone

Back